Inexpensive Dog Toys

Does anyone have any suggestions for inexpensive dog toys?

Ladybug from Huntsville, Ohio

use a mans tube sock. tie a knot in the center. dog will love it.wont choke and makes a hell of a tug o war toy.

Go to the Salvation Army...they often sell bags of stuffed animals for only a dollar. We give our chihuahua a few at a time until she destroys them, then she gets a new one.

I have spent tons of money on toys for my boy dog & he has either very little or no interest in any of them. I bought this one & he goes wild. I doubt I'll buy any other toy ever again. It's inexpensive & he gets so excited he goes nuts. You can play inside or outside. I let him "catch" it most of the time so he stays excited. It squeaks too. It's very durable & has taken a lot of abuse. He's a 70 lb. strong dog so I highly recommend it:

http://www.chaseitpettoys.com/shop.htm

I have had 4 German Shepherds and they all love to play with tennis balls, frisbees, laser lights (chasing them), or old ropes for tug of war. They also love to chase remote toys. Have fun!

The dollar store often carries dog toys; I don't mind so much that he tears it up in a week or so if it only cost a buck! My dog also loves to chew on water bottles; I think it's the sound the make. I actually saw a toy at a pet store which was different animals made from water bottles with heads and legs and tails attached, but my pooch is happy just to chew on an empty bottle. Hope that helps!

I found that all goodwill stores sanatize their clothes and stuff animals, sheets, etc....Alot of Goodwill stores will get a cleaners bag and fill with stuff animals and rubber toys and sell from 50 cents to $5.00. My wennie dog thinks it is Christmas and has fun picking out her NEW best toy !!!!

You may have to throw some away, or drop back off to a thrift store or back to Goodwill....

If you want, you can bring home and throw in the washer before giving to your pet

We give our dogs old socks to play with. I always tie a knot in the middle of them. My Golden Retriever loves them! Also, any stuffed animal that does not have button eyes or nose, etc. or any other part that the dog can chew off and swallow makes a great toy for them as well. My dogs just love soft toys!

If you have old tights or pantyhose just braid them then tie a knot in each end. Puppy will chew on it, chase, even throw it in the air and run after it.

Go to the Thrift shop and buy baby toys! My dog loves those little teething rings with the different textured ends. They sell toys 50 cents a bag, so I buy him little stuffed animals, baby toys, and balls. This will keep my jack russell happy for months! Just be sure to buy stuffed animals without the little beads inside- like beanie babies- that your dog could choke on.

Dogs can't tell the difference between your children's favorite stuffed animals and their own. I had a dog staying with us who chewed up a lot of favorites so if you have children, having toys other than stuffed animals is a good idea.

Susan from ThriftyFun

Ropes are great - just tie knots in them. And, I accidently tossed an empty platic 2 liter coke container on the floor and my puppy just loved - actually he was afraid of it (kinda). So I tied a string on the end and pulled it around. He chased it and then when I stopped, he barked and jumped at it. When I pulled it he thought it was a moving object. Now, he plays with it himself without me pulling it. He hits with his paw and then barks. It is very entertaining. Also, if it is a small dog, they love to chew on golf balls, but, monitor their toys and throw away when they chew off a piece that is too small.

The public tennis courts in our town will give you tennis balls for free...they have lots that have lost their "bounce ". Our local humane society got bunches of them. You might want to check out the tennis courts in your area!

I had an old child's leather belt that I cut off about a foot of and gave it to my Beagle puppy for a chew toy. He loves it. I had also given him a clean old dish rag to chew/play with, which seemed like a good idea at the time, til he started running off with my dish towels!

I save all my hubbys socks that have holes in them for my dogs. Tie a couple knots in the middle, and they're perfect for a chew toy. Sometimes I even drop a few pieces of dry dog food inside before knotting. They love working that sock over till they get to the goodies!

I use empty soda/milk bottles with a handful of gravel. Seal the lid tightly. Shake to make a noise. I have a Border Collie who loves this 'toy' when we toss it around our back garden. He now picks it up himself and throws it over his head.

similar to the old sock trick, i use old stained kitchen dish towels tied with a knot in the middle.

If you can buy a laser light at the dollar store, a dog will chase the light. Just be careful not to get in the eyes. Cats have been chasing the lights for years and dogs also love them.

Use a man's tube sock and tie a knot in the middle. The dog won't choke and makes a heck of a tug-o-war toy.

By Sherry from Parsons, KS

My 2 year old Poodle, Pompi just loves boxes of all types. I put his toy in it and seal it or just close the top and he just tears into it.

I run out of boxes at times.

Dorie

Watch out if the dog tears up the plastic toys,you do not want him to choke on the squeeker inside!

You can make a toy buy drilling a hole through a tennis ball. Then tie string through it and you have a free, homemade toy.

January 11, 2007 Flag

For an inexpensive Rope Toy for my Lab Retrievers I went to the Hardware Store and bought heavy rope and tied three knots in it. This cost under a dollar for a 4 foot piece of rope.

By Tori from CA

Answers:

Inexpensive Rope Toy for Dogs

Make sure you cut the strands of rope beyond the 2 ends, as dogs will chew these off and they can lodge in their stomach/intestines and need an operation to be removed! Do the same with any 'rope' toy to save the life of your dog. (12/03/2005)

By Joandogsxxx

Pets Dogs Dog ToysJanuary 11, 2007
Golden with a rope toy in its mouth.
Saving Money On Dog Toys
Dog Pulling on Rope and Tennis Ball Toy
Homemade Dog Toys
Toddler with ball.
Inexpensive Toddler Toys
kitten playing
Homemade Cat Toys
🎄