Sanitizing Sponges and Dish Cloths

Whenever you run your dishwasher, tie or clip your dishcloth to the top rack of your dishwasher. It will get clean with your dishes! My mother does this. It saves both time and money on washing.

I found that by using a little spray of Laundry OxyClean on my sponge or dish cloth can not only clean and sanitize it but help to remove stains after letting it soak a little while, then rinsing in a bowl of clear water. I don't have to worry about getting a splash on most of my clothes, like bleach, since it is for colored laundry as well. It also smells nice.

You have to let the spray sit on the cloth ten minutes and then rinse thoroughly to kill the germs.

May 1, 2008 Flag

After cleaning the kitchen in the evening, throw your sponge or dish cloth in the top rack of the dishwasher. If you use a dishcloth clip it in the top rack. It will wash, rinse and because the water is so hot, it will sanitize and deodorize the sponge or dishcloth!

By Ellen

Answers:

Sanitize Kitchen Sponges

Sanitize sponges by putting them in the microwave for one minute OR soak in a mild bleach water.

By Syd (12/28/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Sanitizing Sponges and Dish Cloths

Thank You Ellen & Syd!! What super tips these are!! No more "aromatic" dish rags or sponges for me!! (01/04/2005)

By Nonna Mar

Sanitizing Sponges and Dish Cloths

Pls. advise for how long we can use same sponge before through it off? (04/17/2006)

By Aly

Sanitizing Sponges and Dish Cloths

What is a proper solution to soak clean cloths in between use? (10/17/2007)

By Sami

A pile of sponges ready for cleaning.
Sterilizing Sponges
Home and Garden Cleaning Cleaning ToolsMay 1, 2008
Woman Polishing a Piece of Silver
Homemade Silver Polishing Cloths
Recycled Dish Cloths
Making Your Own Recycled Dish Cloths
Stack of blue, yellow, and green sponges.
Cleaning Household Sponges
Colorful Sponges
Craft Uses for Sponges
🎉
🎄