Freezing Milk

Since 2% milk can be frozen; can it be frozen in a plastic container and for how long? Thank you.

By Roseann from GA

You can freeze the milk in its container but i recommend that you put it in a stronger plastic. It can be frozen just as long as all frozen foods just remember when you pull it out put it in the fridge to thaw.

I have done this successully. You have to pour some of the milk out and store that in another container to give room for expansion. The milk will look yellow when you take it out of the freezer to thaw, but it will turn white again. Shake it well before you use it each time thereafter.

I routinely freeze milk in the plastic containers. I pour out enough to prevent the plastic splitting when it freezes. I've kept all grades of milk this way for months with no problems. Remember to shake the container several times as it defrosts.

Yes, I used to do this for years when my children were little and it was easier to freeze 2 weeks supply than run out for milk couple times a week for milk.

When we freeze milk, we just put the unopened gallon jug of it in the freezer. We like to have that factory seal still sealed. I think it keeps better that way. I have never had a gallon of the milk expand to the point where it broke the seal or the plastic jug.

You can really save a lot by freezing milk. Especially if you buy it when it is on sale.

Coleen

We do the same thing - freezing unopened jugs of milk - and have been doing so for years with no problem. A great thawing tip I read from a homesteader was to submerge the frozen, unopened jug of milk in a 3-gallon bucket of very hot water for one hour, and then immediately refrigerate. (There will still be a frozen core.) Shake well before opening. This completely eliminates that "grainy" consistency you'll otherwise get with frozen/thawed milk. The taste and consistency is exactly like fresh milk and it stays good for 10-14 days. I've never had any issues doing this and I've done it for years. 

I have been freezing milk for years. I have a couple of Tupperware containers that I use. I do use half gallon size containers that milk comes in. I do this because of the price of milk. And if I go on A trip I always have milk when I come home. I also buy a quart size of half-and-half. I freeze it also