Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Mashed Potato and Ground Meat Turkey Stuffing Recipe

I am looking for a family recipe an uncle made for the holiday turkey. It's stuffing made with mashed potatoes, onions, hamburger, and I believe sausage also, and poultry seasoning. It was one of our all time favorites, but I lost my copy and Uncle Ed is long past. Could someone help me out?

By Judy from Nashua, NH

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Lynn K.11/24/2014

My mom's family is French Canadian and it would not be a holiday meal without the "grey potatoes" along with with the other traditional sides:

4 lbs mashed potatoes
2 lbs ground beef
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup chopped celery (we have recipes with and without)
2 Tbsp cinnamon
2 Tsp cloves
salt & pepper to taste

Brown meat, onion & celery
Add the cinnamon & cloves and mix together
Mix the meat and potatoes together

11/18/2012

I am from Rhode Island, and my family is french and we have been using this recipe for years and years and years. The recipe has never changed.
1 lb ground beef
1 lb ground pork
1 lb ground turkey
celery
onion
mashed potatoes
poultry seasoning

Brown all three meats with chopped onion and celery (about a cup of each I think, I usually don't measure).
Drain, and add to mashed potatoes (7-8 large potatoes, you can use more or less, whichever you prefer).

Mix well. This is where it gets tricky. Add poultry seasoning, a few teaspoons at a time, until you get the flavor you want. It usually takes alot of poultry seasoning, but don't just pour it in, because you can overdo it quite easily. I hope this is the recipe you were looking for. Enjoy!

By Deborah [9]12/21/2011

Hi there!
I use a mixture of 2/3rds ground pork (I guess sausage could be used) and 1/3rd ground beef and then use diced potato instead of mashed potato. The rest is basically the same as the other recipe here, although I put the cubed potato in just a little undercooked and let the rest finish up in the bird while cooking. The breadcrumbs and potato take on the flavor of the bird. Boy is this yummy. I also make a side dish that is very very yummy by putting the ingredients all together and then stuffing it inside a pie crust and baking at 425* for 65 minutes, putting tin foil around the crust until the last 15 minutes to keep it from burning.
Hope that helps.
Deborah in Maine

By Donna Carnall [2]12/12/2010

I hope this is the recipe you are looking for, or at least close enough!

Ground Beef Turkey Dressing
2 lbs. Ground Beef
Mashed Potatoes
1-1/2 cups celery chopped
1 cup onion, chopped
1-1/4 teaspoons ground thyme
1-1/2 teaspoons ground sage or (poultry spices mixture)
3/4 teaspoon Pepper and Salt
1/4 cup chicken broth or water
Saute the celery and onion in the pan before adding the meat.

Break up the ground beef as you add it to the sauteed celery and onion. Mix well, add spices, the salt and pepper along with the liquid. Cover and simmer until meat is cooked. Let this mixture cool before adding the mashed potatoes.

Fold in the mashed potatoes. You may add more poultry spices to taste along with some Bread Crumbs (not bread cubes) to make a good consistency (not too dry). If you find it too dry, add a little warm water.

By Cindy [3]12/09/2010

Was it actually stuffed in the turkey or made as a separate dish? It sounds yummy. I had a roommate once that made a similar dish and served it simply as a main course. She fried up one part ground hamburger, one part ground sausage and mixed it with one part mashed potatoes. I don't remember her using any spices other than just salt and pepper, but it was a wonderful comfort food. I'll be watching this thread to see if anyone submits a recipe. Hope someone does!

Here are questions related to Mashed Potato and Ground Meat Turkey Stuffing Recipe.

Question: Hamburger and Potato Stuffing

I understand you combine the browned hamburger and the mashed potatoes. My question is; do you boil and mash the potatoes and that's it or do you add butter and milk like you were actually making mashed potatoes as a side dish?

By Tim W

Question: Turkey Stuffing Recipe

My dad made meat and potato stuffing with onion, salt pork, potatoes, seasonings, and the liver and giblets. It was made of turkey too. I don't know what other kind of meat he used, but it had to have another meat. Plus, I'm not sure of amounts to use either. Can anyone help me with this?

By amanda ouellet from las vegas, nv.

Question: Hamburg/Sausage Potato Stuffing

Had an uncle who made the most delicious potato meat stuffing for Thanksgiving, Christmas, or just when he wanted it. He has gone and so did the stuffing as he made it from scratch out of his head. No record of it was ever found.

I would love to know if anyone has made stuffing like this, and how to make it. Thank you in advance.

By Judy

Most Recent Answer

By cutiepie01/17/2012

I grew up knowing potato sausage as Swedish sausage. As an adult, I've had a hard time finding the same thing. I've had butchers tell me to give them a recipe and they will make it. Problem-no recipe. What I found was that the Polish Meat/Sausage Markets had a similar sausage called potato sausage. I wasn't completely satisfied. I then looked in old or olden times cookbooks. This one is delicious. As for making into a stuffing, I'm not sure, but here is the potato sausage recipe I use.
1/2 lb ground beef
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 to 3/4 C shredded or diced real small uncooked potato
1/2 C onion
3/4 t salt
1/4 t black pepper
1/8 t ground allspice
1/8 t crushed dried thyme
Mix all ingredients together. Shape into patties or make links. Pan fry over medium low heat until well browned, about 10 minutes on a side.