Kitchen AppliancesHome Improvement

Advice for Choosing Appliance Colors

I am remodeling my kitchen with off-white glazed cabinets and a farm sink. I am going for the look in the attached photo. I have a white fridge, white dishwasher, and a black stove top. Should I go with a black wall oven and microwave or stick with white or cream? Thanks so much!

By Laura from Decatur, AL

I would go with whatever you like. However, most people want all of their appliances to match.

Black wall oven for contrast and balance, just as the Island counter top in the picture is a contrast to the island, etc. Helps bring out the cupboard knobs and helps create a visual flow. The microwave? Depends on where it will be placed but, everybody is different, so if you can figure out what you like best. I'd go for that, there is no right or wrong answer.

White or cream. Why would you want to draw attention to an oven? Use accessories to add color and pizazz, not appliances. I think blending them in and making them look invisible is the way to go.

My kitchen has black appliances and white cabinets. Light Gray walls and granite looking counter tops. I love it and have gotten a lot of compliments on it. Like bama03 said, there is no right or wrong. Do what you like. I also have used some accents of either bright red or lemon yellow. Both go well with the other colors.

My kitchen has black oven and microwave. The refrigerator, stove and sink are cream, but my cabinets are oak color. The contrast keeps the kitchen from being boring. Everyone is different so what you like is right. If I were you I would buy some poster paper in the colors (White, Black or Cream) and draw pictures of the appliance. Have someone hold it up to the place it will go. Then you can look at it to get a better ideal what it will look like.

I live in an old farm house. I sanded down and painted my cupboards to a darker cream base with barn red cupboard doors top and bottom. The wall I painted a dark melon color. Right now, I have white appliances. I want to keep the house look to an old farmhouse look. I am not sure what to do about the floor yet. Any suggestions?

By jmm

Wood. That is what I think of when I think of country or farm houses. I would take pictures and take them to a flooring store and see if you want dark or light wood. Just remember that if you do happen to choose wood that you want the shade of wood to compliment the entire kitchen, and not make the walls look too yellow or clash with the shade of red or melon. take samples to your kitchen and see how you feel.