Can You Seal an Old Porcelain Sink?

I have an old double porcelain sink, that I love. It fits the decor of my "new-old" cabin. It's easily stained because it's so porous. Is there anything I can put on it to keep juices and such from staining it so easily? Thanks.

By Shirley from Tallassee, TN

Best Answer

Clean the porcelain surface thoroughly. Depending on what you are refinishing, you may need to remove some hardware. You should take off anything removable, such as bath fixtures or knobs. Cover the area with plastic tarp and protect things on the surface not made of porcelain with plastic.

Step 2 Protect yourself with a respirator and goggles. You should wear long sleeves and rubber gloves.

Step 3 Brush on hydrofluoric acid with a scrub brush. Be cautious when using this substances; it is corrosive. Coat the porcelain areas. The acid will eat away the old finish. Leave the hydrofluoric acid on for 15 minutes then rinse the area with cool water and let dry.

Step 4 Use a paint sprayer to apply porcelain primer. Spray in a thin, even coat to avoid drips and cover the porcelain completely. Let the primer dry. It should take around 30 minutes; follow the instructions on the primer you've purchased.

Step 5 Use the paint sprayer and cover the surface with a topcoat of paint and high-gloss polyurethane. Let the paint dry for several days before reattaching the hardware. Good luck.

Thanks! Sounds like a job, but I have to try.

Porcelain Sink
Refinishing an Old Porcelain Sink
Home and Garden Home Improvement Maintenance and RepairMarch 28, 2010
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Removing rust stains from a sink.
Removing Rust Stains from a Sink
Stained Porcelain Cup
Cleaning Stained Porcelain
Sink with hair dye stains
Removing Hair Dye from a Bathroom Sink