What causes old glass Christmas tree ornaments to get black spots on them? As far as that goes, I have some that are only a few years old that are starting to get them, too.
By Joan from Sioux Falls, SD
It could be mold, if so you need to clean them with soap or bleach or peroxide, good luck.
Maybe if they are really old the paint is chipping off them? Be careful, as they may contain lead paint, so keep them away from children, etc. Also, washing them may remove the paint. Good luck.
Hate to say this, but it sounds like mold to me too. Clean it with clorox and check the area where you keep them in - the mold came from somewhere, and mold can make you & your family deathly sick. Get rid of it or call someone to check your home out to get rid of it (the mold) with a written guarantee.
Keep us posted on what you end up doing. We are here (for you and others) everyday.
I know it isn't mold, it has been there since I was a little kid. It is more like the paint on the inside of the ornament has rubbed off. On the outside I could understand this, but on the inside it is a mystery.
I'm sure that you are talking about glass ornaments in which the paint is sprayed on the inside. Storing the ornaments in a place that has temperature fluctuations causes this. Sometimes the paint inside cracks. Unfortunately, most basements, attics, sheds, or garages fail to have temperature regulations and this is where Christmas stuff is stored. If the bulb is really bad, you can fill it with ammonia and let it set a while to loosen the paint; you will have a clear glass bulb that you can insert tinsel, a picture, decorate, etc. If any of your bulbs are expensive, try to store them inside the house so they don't get further damage. Lots of mine have some problems too. It really doesn't bother me much. I love the look and feel of the old ornaments and just accept this as part of the process.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!