Fiberglass Tub Has Yellowed

How do you make a yellowed fiberglass shower look white again? Mine is 22 yrs. old. At one time I used Gel Gloss for boats. Nothing seems to work now.

By Rmm9356 from Buffalo, NY

I don't have an answer for you but I certainly know your pain. I have two showers that need the very same thing. I will be looking back on your feedback to get some good advice for my bathrooms too.

It could be soap scum that needs to be cleaned. If it is not that you can look in the yellow pages under fiberglass and find people who can refinish fiberglass. tubs and showers. Or have a new fiberglass liner installed by Bath Fitter. Also found in the yellow pages under baths

No I have the same problem, it's my garden tub and even at the top edges have discolored. Far from soap scum. The entire bathtub insert is yellow now. I have tried everything. I clean it every time I use use it, but over the year's the entire tub is yellow now. I need help too with this problem. Thank you!

Have you tried Bar Keeper's friend? That's what I use to clean my tubs. I have hard water. You will find if you sprinkle it on, add some water and brush it on, leave for a while, 15-20 mins come back and with little scrubbing you'll see results. Although, not sure where and how much yellow you have in/on your tub. Also BKF works great on glass(like the shower doors), polishes brass, stainless steel,porcelin and more!

Check out their web site...barkeepersfriend,com

Good luck

Jennifer CA

Fill tub with hottest water, add dishwasher detergent - half a box (or a lot of it), OR add oxyclean, stir, let sit for a long time, maybe an hour or till the water cools. Do this over and over if needed. It will whiten more also, after draining. It works! I use this also for my whirlpool tub and run it for 30 or more minutes.

I remember this happening to a house we had when i was a child. My mom used a melamine paint. BUT first you must sand the surface with a tough grit sandpaper then wipe off all dust and clean the tub with straight bleach no dilution. then let dry at least 12 hours. Paint on at least two good coats and let dry 24 hours. Hopefully this works for you. [ if there is paint left from previous attempt then it will need to be removed with paint remover before starting]

My white fiberglass garden tub has turned yellow on the outside as well as the inside. The only places that did not yellow was where something was setting on it, i.e. home decor, and where the bathmat was. Those places are still white. Any suggestions please?

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceApril 27, 2009
Claw Foot Tub in Bright Bathroom
Cleaning a Claw Foot Tub
Cleaning a Fiberglass Boat
Cleaning a Fiberglass Boat
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Remove Soap Scum from Fiberglass
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub
🎉
🎄