Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Fiberglass Tub Has Yellowed

How do you make a yellowed fiberglass shower look white again? Mine is 22 yrs. old. At one time I used Gel Gloss for boats. Nothing seems to work now.

By Rmm9356 from Buffalo, NY

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Joron06/24/2011

My white fiberglass garden tub has turned yellow on the outside as well as the inside. The only places that did not yellow was where something was setting on it, i.e. home decor, and where the bathmat was. Those places are still white. Any suggestions please?

By Jillian Greenwood05/11/2009

I remember this happening to a house we had when i was a child. My mom used a melamine paint. BUT first you must sand the surface with a tough grit sandpaper then wipe off all dust and clean the tub with straight bleach no dilution. then let dry at least 12 hours. Paint on at least two good coats and let dry 24 hours. Hopefully this works for you. [ if there is paint left from previous attempt then it will need to be removed with paint remover before starting]

By Mary05/07/2009

Fill tub with hottest water, add dishwasher detergent - half a box (or a lot of it), OR add oxyclean, stir, let sit for a long time, maybe an hour or till the water cools. Do this over and over if needed. It will whiten more also, after draining. It works! I use this also for my whirlpool tub and run it for 30 or more minutes.

By Jennifer [9]05/04/2009

Have you tried Bar Keeper's friend? That's what I use to clean my tubs. I have hard water. You will find if you sprinkle it on, add some water and brush it on, leave for a while, 15-20 mins come back and with little scrubbing you'll see results. Although, not sure where and how much yellow you have in/on your tub. Also BKF works great on glass(like the shower doors), polishes brass, stainless steel,porcelin and more!
Check out their web site...barkeepersfriend,com
Good luck
Jennifer CA

By Deanj04/27/2009

It could be soap scum that needs to be cleaned. If it is not that you can look in the yellow pages under fiberglass and find people who can refinish fiberglass. tubs and showers. Or have a new fiberglass liner installed by Bath Fitter. Also found in the yellow pages under baths

By Deanj04/27/2009

By Lee [22]04/27/2009

I don't have an answer for you but I certainly know your pain. I have two showers that need the very same thing. I will be looking back on your feedback to get some good advice for my bathrooms too.