Fiberglass Tub Has Yellowed

By rmm9356 1

How do you make a yellowed fiberglass shower look white again? Mine is 22 yrs. old. At one time I used Gel Gloss for boats. Nothing seems to work now.

By Rmm9356 from Buffalo, NY

Showing: Answers Sort

By Lee 38 145 Flag

I don't have an answer for you but I certainly know your pain. I have two showers that need the very same thing. I will be looking back on your feedback to get some good advice for my bathrooms too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Deanj 917 Flag

It could be soap scum that needs to be cleaned. If it is not that you can look in the yellow pages under fiberglass and find people who can refinish fiberglass. tubs and showers. Or have a new fiberglass liner installed by Bath Fitter. Also found in the yellow pages under baths

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Deanj 917 Flag

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jennifer 10 123 Flag

Have you tried Bar Keeper's friend? That's what I use to clean my tubs. I have hard water. You will find if you sprinkle it on, add some water and brush it on, leave for a while, 15-20 mins come back and with little scrubbing you'll see results. Although, not sure where and how much yellow you have in/on your tub. Also BKF works great on glass(like the shower doors), polishes brass, stainless steel,porcelin and more!

Check out their web site...barkeepersfriend,com

Good luck

Jennifer CA

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Mary 7 Flag

Fill tub with hottest water, add dishwasher detergent - half a box (or a lot of it), OR add oxyclean, stir, let sit for a long time, maybe an hour or till the water cools. Do this over and over if needed. It will whiten more also, after draining. It works! I use this also for my whirlpool tub and run it for 30 or more minutes.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Jillian Greenwood 4 Flag

I remember this happening to a house we had when i was a child. My mom used a melamine paint. BUT first you must sand the surface with a tough grit sandpaper then wipe off all dust and clean the tub with straight bleach no dilution. then let dry at least 12 hours. Paint on at least two good coats and let dry 24 hours. Hopefully this works for you. [ if there is paint left from previous attempt then it will need to be removed with paint remover before starting]

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Joron 1 Flag

My white fiberglass garden tub has turned yellow on the outside as well as the inside. The only places that did not yellow was where something was setting on it, i.e. home decor, and where the bathmat was. Those places are still white. Any suggestions please?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceApril 27, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
repair fiberglass
Repairing a Fiberglass Tub or Shower
Woman Cleaning Bathtub
Cleaning a Fiberglass Tub
Cleaning a Fiberglass Boat
Cleaning a Fiberglass Boat
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Remove Soap Scum from Fiberglass
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 9:30:09 PM on 10.0.2.62 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings