Clap To Get Cat's Attention

When I catch my cat, "Smokey" scratching where he shouldn't or doing something he shouldn't, I used to yell his name, but that didn't work. So now I simply clap my hands: CLAP-CLAP-CLAP really loud. This stops him right in his tracks!

By Cyinda from near Seattle

I'm so jealous you have obedient cats. I have two very mischievious but very lovable male red tabbys who fear no absolutely no one. I actually tried this on mine several times and they looked at me like I had lost my mind!!! Mid clap, one actually turned around to face me, yawned like he was bored and then proceeded to clean fear in his heart. I finally had to resort to a squirt gun to get any results but honestly I don't think it's fear that makes them move but rather the fact that they don't want to have to dry themselves when they get wet. My hats off to you if the loud clap works for're a better trainer than I am.

Try using an empty soda can...widen the hole in the can, then put a handful of pennies into the can. Tape the hole shut. You can make several of these and keep them around the house....just grab one and shake it to get your cat's attention. I used this method to keep my cat off the like a least, when i'm home it works! haha

An owner holder her cat.
Tips for Training Your Cat
Pets CatsMarch 19, 2007
Two male Persian cats.
Neutered Male Cat Mounting Other Male Cats
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Cat Meowing
Preventing A Cat From Meowing
Girl with her has face painted like a black cat.
Making a Cat Costume