Bring Your Child to Work Day Ideas

I am trying to find new and exciting things to do on Bring Your Children to Work Day. Any and all ideas will be greatly appreciated. In other words, HELP!

Ralph from Brooklyn, NY

We have tours, guest speakers i.e. fire dept. then they have relay races on how fast to replace batteries in a smoke detector. they visit their parents work area for about an hour, we have a mock clinic with displays and then we have a dj. We have computer games educational of course.

The best activity I ever did with my kids was to have all the kids and their parents plant TickleMe Plants. They loved watching the expanding soil wafers and planting the seeds. But most of all they enjoyed watching the plants leaves close when they tickled it.We used the classroom kits they have on line just search TickleMe Plant.

March 27, 2006 Flag

Next month our company is finally allowing us our first Bring Your Child to Work Day. A co-worker and I have volunteered to schedule activities for the day. Can anyone help with suggestions? We are a utility, and partial office - most of the childrens parents work out on the road and we will not be able to take the kids to them, but still need to keep them busy all day. We would love to make this a success after requesting it for so many years!

Thanks,
Snowbells from NJ

Answers:
-- 03/26/2006
The company I work for has done this for a few years now, some of the activities they included were:
  • simple arts and crafts
  • Karioke (sorry if not spelled correctly)
  • tables/discussions that explain what the parents do there.
  • They had a "Dance Dance Revolution" set up with a Playstation 2 for the kids to play.
  • T Shirts and goody bags were made and given out.
  • IF it's possible, they had them sit with their parents for an hour on the job.
  • They had a special guest (local PD or FBI agent, etc.) come talk to the group.
  • They had a scheduled lunch hour.

The day was set up on a schedule and the children divided into groups, each group leader took care of their group for the day and followed the agenda (different activities at any one time for each group.) It lasted about 8 hours, with only an hour of sit down time with the parents. These were only some of the activities, but I hope you get some ideas from it. Good luck and hope they have fun! :)

By kidseatfree.info
-- 03/28/2006
My daughter got to participate last year and had such a wonderful time. My husband works for the our local cable company.

They brought pizza in for their parents and the kids to have lunch together.

They had a tour of the facility. They had mini demos. They got to see how a bucket truck worked. This was a big hit.

The kids only got to spend an hour with their parents, the rest of the day they had activities planned.

By kimbers867
-- 03/28/2006
Hi, I have children visiting in the office often. I make sure to save up the shredding. Children of all ages love to shred. Even at 5, I have them doing some copying for me. If you have filing to do, save it up. What about an extra amount of TLC for the office plants? At the end of the year, I have them make up my files for the next year. In the afternoon, I have them make microwave popcorn and show a movie. (Parents are asked first for content.) I enjoy having "assistants" come and visit and I manage to get a lot accomplished. The most important thing is that you give the children a wonderful memory of their day at work.
By Tedebear (Guest Post)
-- 04/05/2006
Our work is doing this again this year, and I am also part of the group who is incharge of planning this event.

We are having a K-9 do a demo, on how they catch a (quote)bad guy(/quote). We are having coloring books. We are having the kids decorate their own badge.

These activities are still pending... I work for Probation, so it makes sense for my dept, might not help for yours.

By Marisol (Guest Post)
-- 04/06/2006
Hi there! I've been in charge of the program at my law firm for a number of years. Here's a brief description of our day. Perhaps you can use some of it and taylor it towards your industry. Good luck!
  • 9:00 - 9:30 Arrival/Breakfast
  • 9:30 - 9:45 Welcome (management)
  • 9:45 - 10:45 Getting to Know You (we teamed them together according to their birth months and played games (Outburst, Pictionary, Scatagories) to break the ice and get the kids interacting w/each other (they loved this part)
  • 10:45 - 11:00 BREAK (you'll need it)
  • 11:00 - 11:30 Recruiting (our recruiter stressed the importance of education and prepartion for a career in various career fields which we utilize)
  • 11:30 - Noon Labor Litigation (spoke specifically about what this area of law involves and how it affects businesses)
    Noon - 12:45 Lunch (with Parent)
  • 12:45 - 1:00 Videoconference w/other offices
  • 1:00 - 2:00 What Does My Mom/Dad Do All Day? (wherein they shadowed their parents for an hour. You might consider having somone do a brief demonstration of what they do and tell how what they do affects everyone else.)
  • 2:00 - 2:30 Let's Do Some Work (hands on experience in various locations (Training, reception, IS, Mail Room)
  • 2:30 - 4:00 Preparation and Mock Trial
  • 4:00 - 4:30 Afternoon Snack/Farewell

This year we'll be doing a field trip to the Supreme Court. Hope you found this helpful.

By Olivia. (Guest Post)
-- 04/07/2006
Thanks for all the great ideas - I really appreciate it!
By snowbells

Holidays and Parties Parties OfficeMarch 26, 2006
Parenting an Autistic Child, Diamond shaped traffic sign warning, autistic child area.
Parenting an Autistic Child
Valentine's Day Tips for Men, Man giving a heart shaped chocolate box and roses.
Valentine's Day Tips for Men
Green Valentine's Day Ideas, heart shaped leaf
Being Single on Valentine's Day
Husband and Wife holding a baby
Adopting a Child
🎄