Treasure Box for Children

By Vicki 6 16

Once, I had to think of a quick birthday present for a young girl I had never met and didn't know what she wished for. Also time was short. Cash was the obvious solution, but a paper money bill in a birthday card is somewhat boring for young kids, so this is what I did:

I fancied up an old cigar box by covering it in a scrap of beautiful fabric with some gold patterning, "gemstones", buttons and anything gold and shiny I could find. I lined the box with a scrap of blue velvet and then I just filled the box with loose change and used a gold ribbon to tie the box shut. The embarrassment I initially felt by not having a "proper" gift for her soon dissipated: the little girl was so happy for the gift that she spent all afternoon counting and recounting her "treasure". All in all it was not a lot of money, but for younger children it is often the number and not the value of the coins that makes them feel "rich". After spending the "treasure", the box can be reused as a beautiful jewelry box.

This idea can easily be adjusted for boys. Just cover the box in "boyish" wrapping paper or fabric and put for example matchbox cars or baseball cards inside instead. This is a cheap, quick, but personal way to make a lovely gift for someone.The variations are endless.

By Vicki from Copenhagen, Denmark

Showing: Comments Sort

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

What a wonderful idea. Love it. I will be trying this for some of my daughters friends that have bday parties that she gets invited to. Thank you for sharing this unique idea.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

I THINK THIS IS A TRULY WONDERFUL IDEA, WITH THE PRICES OF TOYS AND SUCH TODAY. FRANKLY I DON'T CARE FOR SOME OF THE THINGS KIDS HAVE NOW ADAYS, I WILL USE THIS THE NEXT TIME I NEED A GIFT FOR A CHILD. IT WOULD WORK FOR ADULTS ALSO INSTEAD OF A REGULAR CARD, EVERYONE CAN USE AN EXTRA TREASURE CHEST.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

Thank you so much for this idea. I'll be using it. My son and I are in a playgroup and celebrate the kids birthdays. I'm always looking for great thrify ideas for the kids birthdays. I started making little purses for the girls with scraps of old fabric and putting a neckles and braclet I make with old bead I had. They have been a big hit. What little girl doesn't like a purse for dress up.

Your idea is great for both the boys and girls every kid loves coins.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Make Your Own GiftsJuly 20, 2006
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Making a Christmas Stocking
Making a Christmas Stocking
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Pirate Party
Pirate Themed Party Ideas
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 11:16:02 PM on 10.0.1.208 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings