Check ASPCA and AVMA Vaccination Frequency Recommendations

Is your vet recommending too many vaccinations? Mine certainly has. I've been looking over past invoices and trying to find a cheaper vet (not at the expense of my pets' health of course). I just discovered that the American Veterinary Medical Association and the ASPCA both state that new research confirms that dogs (not puppies) need certain vaccinations (a list on these sites) only every three years. That is the official recommendation!

My vet has been sending me cards telling me my 4 year old dog is due these in a few weeks, but he had them last year. Some states require rabies shot every year regardless of the recommendations; TX requires every three years. I'm learning some vets give what they call a one year shot, and some give a three year shot. My vet's office told me they are a different vaccine. That is not true, as confirmed by these organizations as well as animal control in my city. The receptionist evidently didn't know the difference until I quoted word by word from these sites.

Animal control told me that the vets are giving too many shots and it's a money issue. My dog is not in the wild so I will not be giving a rabies until three years. There is also a series of shots I will only be giving him every three years. Everyone must educate themselves about pet health, because you may be paying for more than is necessary and possibly putting your pets health at risk.

The problem with all this, is that most boarding places will not take a pet unless he gets the vaccinations every year, regardless of what is recommended by ASPCA or American Veterinary Medical Association. Some of the vaccines pets need depend upon whether they are boarded, where you live (country or city), etc., and how often they are around other dogs. Regardless, a lot of the vaccines are still recommended only every three years, even though your vet may tell you to come in every year for those.

By Betty from Lubbock, TX

Betty, thank you for this as I have been going thru the same thing with all of my animals. I have a vet that comes to my house here in SC since I have 3 dogs and 9 cats and they are given the 3 year shots. I have another vet for emergencys and I get notices all the time about this shot or something that needs to be done. I relie on my vet that comes to the house as she is wonderful and does not do me wrong.

Please no vaccine. I try to fix those with mast cell cancer (from vaccines), cancer at the vaccine site, change in personality, parvo (directly from the parvo vaccine), aggression issues (from vaccine). Lots have died in my arms before i could help them. The list goes on and on. When you find what is in a vaccine, like mercury (now called thimerisol) aluminum, anti freeze, pus, formaldehyde (that they use to pickle dead people) on and on. It destroys the immune system and sets up for immune malfunction like cancer, arthritis, asthma, allergies, brain damage, diabetes, autism in children but similar in dogs. To keep your pet well, build up the immune system. Check out raw diet. At least a few days a week. No corn wheat or soy. Soy even has now gone dirty. Read up. Go to anti-vaccine sites. is a good one. Written a lot by doctors. You can refuse vaccines except for rabies and that's only if the county catches you. My step-grandson died 3 days after a vaccine. He was 3 months old. I have MS directly after a vaccine. Have studied many years about dangers of vaccines. Put it together people, know someone with a SIDS baby? You will find the baby was just vaccinated. Autism? Same thing. Think dog vaccines can be any better? Begging you to follow the money train. Big pharma is not doing you right. Check anti-vaccine sites before you believe in big pharma.

Please, please be careful of giving your pet shots every year. This is why our pets die of such diseases as cancer and those that we humans die from. Just as the cheap dog/cat food sold in groceries stores is made up of dead and diseased animals carcasses and pets that have been euthanized their bodies are then made into our pets food-this is not what you want to feed you beloved pet. Research and read and find answers before you trust anyone with the life of your pets.

Best check what is in vaccines and you will decide to have none. Mercury (now called thymerisol) anti-freeze-aluminum-aborted foetal cells-rotting monkey brains-animal pus-and now they are talking of putting in ground bugs. Check out anti vaccine sites like Tell whomever wants to poke the hypo to put it where the sun don't shine. My grandson dead few days after vaccine. I have MS week of vaccine. Friends with leukemia onset just after vaccine. 22 year old friend lupus week of vaccine.

MS friends now say they wondered if their vaccine had anything to do with their onset. Studied lots. Great book---factual---"Dont get stuck". Many dogs get parvo from the vaccine. Freshly vaccinated they spread it through the neighborhood, just like the polio vaccine did. Please read up and remember your kids cannot be forced into being vaccinated. Nothing in my constitution says government can put a foreign substance into my body. has forms to exempt. Rabies is the only mandatory vaccine on the books for animals. Animal control recognises a 3 year vaccine as being good for 3 years. Do not fall for the greed of your doctor should he tell you otherwise. He is only looking out for his profits.

I agree that animals get too many shots. I have two little dogs and had to board them one time. Would you believe they gave them their shots when I was at the counter to pick them up. The bill was over $200 so, in my opinionm it is all about money. Since then I only give them their three year rabies shots as required by California. They are both nine years young and very healthy.

I am in a quandary. I have 2 dogs and one cat who all have to be groomed (2 shih tzus and 1 himilayan) but the groomers will not groom them without having these shots. I am very torn about what to do. They are my babies and I would die if I did something to harm them. I will really have to think this through as my dogs very seldom go out and they will not let me near their paws.

Pet Vaccination
Vaccinating Your Pet
Pets HealthAugust 24, 2010
Background Check
Know What Information Is In Your Background Check
A vet giving a dog a vaccination.
ASPCA Pet Vaccination Truck Schedule
Puppy getting shots
When Do Puppies Need Shots?
Growing Carrots
Growing Carrots