Fixing Slippery Wooden Stairs in Apartment

What are some options to put on wood indoor steps. They are in an apartment so we have to be careful of what we do. We have already fallen on them a few times.

By Melitta from Jackson, MS

Ask your landlord to fix it or to allow you to fix it & pay you to do it, good luck.

When you ask the landlord to fix the stairs, you might want to emphasize how you've already fallen down them a couple of times. If he's smart, he'll start to worry that you might be injured and sue him, and that will tend to give him more incentive to make repairs. Of course, he could be a little dumb, in which case he might not be concerned with liability, and then you're right back where you started. But it's worth a try before you spend money and do work yourself.

Besides what has already been mentioned, the best place to call for ideas of exactly what to do/use are local 'flooring stores' because issues like this are what they specialize in.

My daughter suggested "slip-strips." However, I'd say nag your landlord to fork over for them, or get him to sign an agreement for your doing it. Since you're renters, it's his responsibility.

btw, thanks for this reminder. I'm doing a housing seminar next month, speaking on behalf of disabled folks (I'm visually impaired.) My presentation will be geared to landlords and realtors, and I need to make sure this sort of thing is included.

The Landlord can repaint the stairs and add SAND to the paint. This helps add a texture to the steps so they aren't as slippery. My husband did this to the few concrete steps from our porch. He also added the "gritty" non slip strips to the edge of each step. These were purchased at a store that sells items for RV's. The steps on RV's can be very slippery without these strips. Some of these strips even glow in the dark have a reflective strip on them!

Keep hounding your Landlord! It will be less expensive for him to do things to prevent a fall than to pay for the expenses of someone who falls on these steps.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Hardwood FloorsFebruary 25, 2010
An street with an "Apartment For Rent" sign.
Renting an Apartment
beautiful wood stairs
Selecting The Right Wood for Stairs
Hardwood Floors
Making Hardwood Floors Less Slippery
Oak Stairs
Fixing Squeaky Stairs