Removing Grease Film on Ceiling Fan

I have two white ceiling fans in my kitchen and I clean them with Comet liquid but it still doesn't get the grease film off. What can I use to clean them?

By Momma Dobson from KS

I clean everything in kitchen with vinegar. It works, good luck.

I agree with vinegar on most everything, but with grease I would try simple green, then rinse with the vinegar or other such as dawn dish soap to remove the grease residue to prevent the grease buildup. Keeping them dusted in the first place is sure easier than getting the built up grease/dust combination of later. I don't like to dust but would rather do it than clean that sticky greasy buildup from up on a ladder.

Try 'Dawn Power Dissolver' found at Wal-Mart near the dishwashing detergent. If your fans are not made of unfinished wood it should work. I find that it really does disolve the grease. I prefer to spray it on my cleaning cloth and apply to the surface rather than spray directly on the greasy area, especially on a smaller area.

1/4 Cup Baking Soda

1/2 Cup Vinegar

1 Cup Ammonia

Mix with 1 gallon of very warm water. I double it because I use a bucket with 2 gallons of water. This is great for walls & woodwork too but you should dry wood afterward.

I agree. If we all would just add dusting our blinds and ceiling fans to our dusting routine we could avoid having to clean this items. But like everyone else, I forget and when it gets bad, I find the only thing that works, is Awesome, a cleaner from the dollar store, in the purple bottle. You can find it other places too, I believe. Oh, and use a microfiber cloth. That keeps it form all falling in your face or on the floor. Those rags hold on to dust or hair until you peel it off. Amazing.

Whichever method you use, I would make sure that I dry the blades thoroughly & don't get them overly wet as they could warp & your fan won't work properly after that.

I like "Greased Lightening". This even removes burned on grease from a broiler pan!

Photo of a ceiling fan.
Cleaning a Ceiling Fan
Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceApril 15, 2010
Refurbished a Ceiling Fan
Refurbishing a Ceiling Fan
Repairing a ceiling fan.
Repairing a Ceiling Fan
Antique Wood Furniture with Sticky Film
Cleaning Wood Furniture With a Sticky Film
Ceiling Fan
Repairing a Wobbly Ceiling Fan
🎉
🎄