Rubber Duck Themed First Birthday

I decided on a rubber ducky theme for my son's first birthday party; he really likes them! I had a bunch of rubber duckies, but wasn't quite sure what to do with them. Just setting them out around the party area didn't look right, and the only way I could think to hang them was if I tied something from their necks! I used the duckies that had holes on the bottom, and just hung them up on nails around the banner. I then reused some really colorful ribbon bows from gifts as accents.

I had made the cakes for our older son's last two birthday parties, but I felt that for a first birthday, maybe we should order a cake from the bakery. I checked into it, and it would have cost me upwards of $30 for a cake with the rubber duck theme I planned on, and that just wasn't in our budget.

I had bought some party supplies on eBay, including a used Wilton 3D rubber duck cake pan. I was a bit intimidated about making the cake, so I did a practice one, and it turned out better than I had hoped. I decided to bake the cake and mini cupcakes for the party, and was so glad that I did! We saved some money, and I was so happy with the finished cake, and thrilled with the compliments. Ultimately, though, I felt so very proud to make something special for my son.

By Cynthia from Pittsburgh PA

Rubber Duck Themed First Birthday

what a wonderful cake you did a good job..the whole thing lookss cute..good imagination...give yourself a pat on the back :0)

Your cake and decorations turned out really cute. Isn't that great--? You saved money, you have a cake pan you can keep or lend out or sell again, AND you made something special yourself for your son. Wonderful.

Very cute!!! Rubber ducks are a really cute idea and so much fun to use.

Where did you get the plates from? Everything looks so great.

Photos PartyJanuary 31, 2008
Mallard Duck swimming in a lake.
Mallard Duck Information and Photos
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Donald and Daisy Duck Costume
A crafter using rubber stamps to decorate a handmade card.
Cleaning Rubber Stamps
Pile of Colorful Rubberbands
Using Rubber Bands to Make Stamps