BudgetBudget & Finance

More Tips to Avoid Identity Theft

Category Budget

Be safe, don't carry a purse. Use your pockets. Organize your multi-pocket jeans and slacks. Most women are wearing slacks or jeans now. Only buy slacks with deep pockets and eliminate carrying a purse. After all men carry their wallet on their person which is much safer! Organize your pockets. Carrying a purse with everything but the kitchen sink is not necessary. Use a 3-3/4" tall by 4-1/2" wide snap closure purse with a zipper bottom opening for change and an extra car key. Carry one credit card. driver's license, grocery savings cards, a blank emergency check in a plastic holder and your bills folded in half. Carry it in your deep front pocket for security.. Use your other front pocket to keep your car/house keys. TIP: Always use the same pockets. The small watch pocket on jeans is ideal for storing a few pills. Carry a lip liner and retractable lipstick brush coated with lipstick in your back pocket (if you are a woman!) No bulky lipstick tube. Tissue holder: Use a spring top closure pouch 3-1/2" by 3", many times FREE at health fairs, senior centers, promotion items. Fold 4 Kleenex type tissues in small squares and put in pouch. Put a headache pill in the bottom for emergencies. You can also carry a note pad and pen (in back pocket) so if you see something while shopping that strikes your eye, jot down notes so that at home you can create your own, that goes for cute phrases also! You can do a crude drawing if you are not an artist; this will refresh your memory. Also, you can jot down stores and prices, if you want to return later. It eliminates the possibility of having your purse snatched! This has worked for me for more than a decade. By Syd

I recently had new checks made and to avoid anyone stealing them only had them printed with my first two initials instead of my first name and middle initial. This way if they were stolen, they wouldn't know if the owner was a male or a female, and they wouldn't know how to endorse them.

sewingmamma

Well, if women's pants etc. actually HAD decent sized pockets that things could fit in, maybe this would work. I do like it when I don't have to carry a purse, but usually this just isn't possible (actually, the only time it works is if I wear one of my pairs of EMT pants which have huge cargo pockets). The pocket issue is one of my major women's clothing pet peeves, right up there with heels...

JUST PUTTING YOUR INITIALS ON CHECKS WON'T STOP A THIEF. THEY WILL JUST SIGN THEM WITH THE INITIALS ON THE CHECK AND THE CASHIER EITHER WON'T KNOW OR CHECK TO SEE IF THIS IS THE RIGHT PERSON OR NOT

Don't put any mail which contains checks or account information in a personal mail box. Put in post office collection boxes or take to your local post office. Thieves can beat the postman to your mail if it is left in a mailbox. See more tips at http://www.thri … ier2/idtheft.htm

On some occasions thieves are watching as you leave your car at the restaurant or the mall. If they do not see a purse, they surmise that you have your purse locked in the car somewhere, and that is motivation for them to break into your car. Just a small shoulder bag or fanny pack might serve the purpose to have a visible purse without carrying the kitchen sink.

I know we worry about identity theft our SS# checking accounts.ATM credit cards & accounts Has anyone ever noticed on there disable plackered that is issued by the state of florida Please look it has your drivers liscenced # on it.So why can't the bad guys use this against us I ask & it was told to me I have nohting to worry about.Well duh isn't that # issued to you & only you So why can't they get it an make your life miserable can anyone please explain this to me Thank you Danny in Fla.

By not having your proper name on your checks is a sure way to have them pass all ID required at stores. My neighbor's daughter had hers stolen and there was no problem in passing all the checks the thieves wanted to do. The FBI said the less Identity info as license, phone # on the check, the info will be asked for by the clerk to prove. If you don't have a full name to go by, any made up name on a bogus license will do.

I keep my ID separate from the check book and don't mind when asking to provide it. You can also have written on the checks PLEASE REQUIRE PHOTO ID TO BE SHOWN.

You can never be secure enough.