Make Your Own Trail Mix

Summer is here, and there all sorts of activities that are made more enjoyable if you have a nice little bag of your very own special trail mix in your pocket. Make a list of your family's favorite snack ingredients and stock up on them, and then start mixing to suit all of you.

These are our family's favorite snacks for trail mixes:

• Dried apples, apricots and peaches, figs, and dates
  • Natural pecans, walnuts, and almonds
  • Ad
  • Sunflower seeds, hulled
  • Raisins and Craisins
  • Dried Banana and plantain chips
  • Honey-Nut Cheerios
  • Trix cereal
  • Chocolate-covered raisins
  • Pretzel sticks
  • Dry roasted and honey roasted peanuts

One daughter likes to add carrot sticks to her bag, and I like Wheat Chex in mine.

Your own special Trail Mix is perfect for camping, hiking, ball games, bowling, watching TV, or family board games. You'll save money, your family will be snacking healthier, and you won't have the wasted items that no one likes from the mixes you purchase at the stores.

Source: I didn't like paying a high price for trail mix at the stores, then feeding half of it to the squirrels every week. We buy sunflower seeds and raw peanuts in the shells for them.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

You've got a very good idea! You can also add more of a favorite ingredient when you make it yourself.

If you ever need a taste tester just holler! : ) There's a camping trip coming up over the 4TH of July.I think I'll just have to make this. Another 2 thumbs up recipe. Thanks.

I find your idea of having the various ingredients on hand and making individual portions of everyone's favorites to be the best I've ever heard. I've had to throw out partial bags of different places simply because there's stuff in them that no one really likes. Not in our family anyway.

Adding a cereal like Cherrios or WheatChex is my favorite too. Almost everything you mentioned would work for most of us, and having such a nice variety will make it so easy to make ahead or on the spur of them moment.

You'll get a thumbs up from me on this one too.

Many thanks.

MisMachado

I could almost live on this kind of eating and think of all the time I'd save.

Thanks for sharing that list

Lee

I'd never have thought about buying the individual bags of what we like and making our own mix according to each person's preference. What a great idea! Some of these ingredients are a little on the less than economical side, but even worse is paying for a bag of something you're just going to throw away half of. None of us like that large flaked coconut that many pre-packaged trail mixes have in them, and I've never found one that had enough dried cranberries in it to suit me. They are my favorite, and the Cherrios too.

You'll be getting my vote, and thank you for sharing it.

Songwriter

We used to shop at a store that had dried pineapple, mango and some other fruits that were really good and I've not found that kind of store again in a long time. I'd chop the large slices and chunks into bite size and add that to just cereal. I'd love to find a store that sells all those dried fruits again.

Thanks for suggesting the homemade trail mix. Can't wait to make some.

Suziq9

Trail Mix
Trail Mix Recipes
Food and Recipes Food Tips SnacksJune 15, 2011
Chex Mix
Homemade Chex Mix Recipes
Bowl of salsa with ingredients in background.
Dry Salsa Mix Recipes
A bottle of homemade salad dressing.
Making Italian Salad Dressing Mix
Garlic being planted into garden soil mix.
Making Your Own Garden Soil Mix
🎉
🎄