Dog Recently Terrified of People

My 3/4 Chihuahua 1/4 Dachshund is terrified of people. She shakes uncontrollably, yelps if they come within a couple of feet of her, or snaps if they try to touch her. She's 8 months old.

This came on after her last vet visit for shots. She is so good with us and other animals, but also scared to go for rides. I would appreciate any help. She is so loving with us and obeys quite well. She sits, stays, comes, and knows off. These are all the commands I've taught her so far. She's extremely smart. Help.

By Carrie from Huntsville, AL

Puppies go through fear phases. One when they are around 8 weeks old, and then again around 4 months, and some go through a third at 14 months. Of course different breeds develop and mature at different rates. Your puppy is probably just going through a fear phase brought on by her "trauma" at the vet.

Just don't coddle her. Act as though everything is normal. If you coddle her she will forever associate being scared with receiving affection on command. She will get through it on her own just as she would if she were a wild animal. If you behave as if everything is okay, she will believe you.

Change your vet and never take her there again. Put her in a crate when someone come in and after they are there awhile let her out and just let her do her thing she will get through it. I have had a vet do some horrible things to small dogs because they get angry or the puppy doesn't understand. You should always be there when your pup has shots because to her you are her safety and it hurts. You can also see how they treat her. Just don't use that vet ever again.

You touched on the cause already. It is the vaccine. my post above, just before this one. She has had a poisoning in the brain from mercury (now called thimerisol) You need at least thuja (a homeopathic that sometimes helps). Now. She needs a homeopathic doctor. Poison vaccine has crossed a wire in her brain. Please get her some homeo care and never vaccinate. Dogs stay healthy when you build their immune system. Vaccines tear it down. Online see vaccine ingredients and study few things on Any anti vaccine site that lists ingredients. I have studied much on vaccine danger because of personal experience.

My step gransdson,3 months old, died 3 days after a vaccine. I have MS within a week of vaccine. Dear friend has lupus right after vaccine, friends grandaughter juvie arthritis immediately after vaccine. another friends daughter a vegetable with epilepsy right after a vaccine, cancers, allergy and of course the medical community will not recognize because there is big bucks in poisoning you, me and our pets too. Keep me posted, please. I am glad you care about your furball. Hugs, Vicki

How to Make Dog Less Afraid of People
Pets Dogs AdviceMay 16, 2011
A happy dog standing up.
Training a Dog to Stop Mounting (Humping) People
thawed pork chop
Refreezing Thawed Meat
Mug of slighty lumpy Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
A skinny dog eating.
Helping a Dog Gain Weight