Buying Used Rental Cars

I have seen some good deals on used rental cars. They seem to be in great shape and usually have about 20,000 miles on them. Does anyone have any experience with buying used rental cars? I went to a Budget Car Sales lot today and found a lot of cars that were in my price range but I was wondering if there was any reason to steer clear of rental cars.

Thanks,
Gene

Yes, my folks bought a rental Mercury Marquis in the late 1980's. Then I drove it from about 1992 until 2000 when I moved away. It was a good car all those years with some problems that older cars start getting. My Dad was an auto mechanic and thought the car was a good deal because rental companies have to maintain them well to keep them on the road and their customers safe.

I have a 99 saturn that is wonderful, it has a few asthetic things that are unappealing, but the engine and upkeep are great. Now that it is in my hands, I hope to keep it for many more years.

I dont think you'll be sorry if you buy the rental car. We bought a used "company" car once, and it was just wonderful and lasted a long time. I agree with what the others here have said. However, I wanted to mention that I once read that people who rent cars dont treat them well. I'm not sure I agree with that as we always treated a rented car as if it were our own... lol

Best wishes

We bought a Ford from Hertz years ago. Got a lot of mileage and then passed it to our daughter when she turned 16 and got her license. Hertz had service records for each vehicle they were selling. I'd ask to see it before you buy.

We bought a Chevy used, we had to put brakes & tires fairly soon after that but it was a great car. All my kids learned to drive in it. When we wanted a new one my youngest drove it for a few more years.

My cousin has been buying rental cars for the last 20 years.

id rather buy a rental then a justa used car bc they have to keep records of maintence by law and you havea right to view them when purchasing a vehical from a rental business where as privatly owned used cars who know what they did to them or didnt for that matter ???

I purchased a 2002 Toyota Camry from Enterprise it is in Great condition, As long as you read thoroghly the car fax report and see that the vehicle has been cared for it is actually similar to purchasing a vehicle from an individual. You just need to know what you are getting into. Look and Listen for any problems that the vehicle may have and negotiate based on that

We bought a car from Budget Car Rentals, once, I'd not had it long before I had to get something major done to it. It was the only car lot open on a Sunday, the only day we had available to go, look for a car. All in all it was a good car. We just were hoping to put more mileage on it before having to do any major repairs right away. I've always been told in the past, that people renting cars will drive them much harder and go more places or in more enviroments, than they would had the car been their own personal car. If you're really serious on purchasing a rental car, take it on your test drive to a service repairman at another repair shop, one that you trust, to give you a report once he's looked the car over. Rather than going into the purchase blind sighted. Best of Luck!

My parents have always bought "program cars" from their local dealerships. They're a car that the dealership has driven around town to run errands and such with. You get a nice car, with little milage on it, and a nice discount, at the same time. You can also get the same warranty package as you'd get with a new car purchase. My parents have never been disappointed with their 'program cars'.

I know that i totally abuse rental cars.

We bought a 92 Nissan Sentra that was a rental car. It had 32,000 miles on it at the time. It now has 190,000 and still going strong. We have not had any major problems with it. We were (are) very pleased.

I bought my first real car from a Hertz rental place and my parents still have their 1992 Ford Taurus that they purchased from Hertz that has well over 200K miles on it. Do your homework as with any purchase but my experience has been great.

Consumer Advice Cars Buying a CarNovember 25, 2005
Mold in a Rental House
Legal Responsibility for Mold in a Rental House
Condos
Converting a Rental into a Condo
car gear parts in carton box
Saving Money on Parts for Old Cars
Smashed bugs on front of car
Cleaning Love Bugs from Cars
🎄