Hot Glue Ornaments

About 6 years ago, I came across an idea that was so simple and yet so darned cute, I saved the photo and will be making some of these this Holiday.

Glue Stix (and others brands) make a line of glues (see link below). It's a long one, but I checked it for you and it works. You can get these wonderful items in just about any store, but this website will also give you some ideas.

These little angels are just too cute. You can also make these in any cookie cutter shape, stencil, or any shape you cut out of paper or cardboard.

• Waxed paper for the project
  • Shape desired
  • Felt pen
  • Various colors, textures, styles of hot glue sticks
  • Hot glue gun*
  • Felt or foam (only if you want a backing for the ornament)
  • Buttons, ribbon or gems for embellishments
  • Hanger if they are ornaments

*NOTE: Cool might not work, so don't let kids do this alone. Hot glue guns are 360 degrees F and can cause second degree burns. It's not just the tips that are hot, it's the glue, too!)

1. Spread out your paper so that the sides don't curl up on you. Once this process begins, you don't want to have to stop. Tape works great.
  2. Trace the shape of your ornament onto the paper. If you are using felt or foam, that can be placed on the table alone, without the waxed paper.
  3. With the inside color, sparatically drag your hot glue color all over, just to the edges of your shape outline.
  4. With the outside color, trace over the felt pen marks and either put your hanger at the top and secure into the glue, or leave the top open and use a hook later.
  5. Let the glue dry. If your shape is on the waxed paper, you can then peel it off when it's dry and cool. DO NOT RUSH THIS STEP! YOUR ITEM WILL BEND AND BE RUINED!!
  6. If your ornament is on felt or foam, when dried and cool, simply cut out around the frame of the shape and hang.

The nice thing about the foam or felt backing, is you can make a pin or magnet out of it, providing it's not to large.

Pins shouldn't be more than 1.5 by 2 inches, and magnets about the same. Anything larger, and you will need heavier magnets or pin backs, and that might distort the glue shapes.

Now, don't think this would just work for Christmas! You can do Valentines Day, St. Patrick's Day, Easter, 4th of July, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Birthdays, Weddings, Anniversaries.

And the Hits just keep on coming!!

I have to give credit where credit is due. While I have long since resold the craft book this came in, I am ALMOST CERTAIN if came from an Aleene's Craft Glue Book. But no matter who thought it up, they were geniuses.

I hope you have lots of fun with this!!

By Sandra from Salem, OR

Hot Glue Ornaments

What a great idea! I love this website. I can't wait to make these angels, they look so cute! I have a Micheal's craft store nearby and I'm going there today to get the things I need to make some of these cool crafts. Thanks again for a great Christmas project. I'm so thankful that you shared this idea with all of us. Happy Holidays xoxo

I agree. what a wonderful craft and inexpensive too.

thank you for sharing this

These are so cute and so easy, my kind of craft, lol. I am going to do some of these. I just got all my mom's cookie cutters from my sister, so have lots of options for shapes. Ty for sharing.

I tried this with the low-temp glue gun--it works well. THEN- I got this GREAT IDEA! I blew up a small round balloon, and applied the glue to that. When glue is set, pop balloon, and remove. TA_DA! Now I have round glue ornaments! Paint them, or not, add beads, etc, as you apply glue. store them in card board ornament holder, and they wont break-good for next year! HAVE FUN, and Happy Holidays.

This is a wonderful idea! I just showed my girls, 8 and 13 and they love the idea also. We are on our way to pick up some glue sticks now. This is a great and inexpensive way to create ornaments or Christmas gifts for others. Thanks for sharing!

I am so glad everyone enjoyed these! Craft supplies have come so far in the last 10 years, it is wonderful to see everyone making things that they might not try normally. I want to see everyone's creations! Send them to the TF family here or to

Poor But Proud

Crafts Christmas OrnamentsNovember 26, 2008
Making a Hot Glue Pendant
Making a Hot Glue Pendant
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
Fabric Can Lid Ornaments Finished
Tin Can Christmas Ornaments
Hot Cross Buns on Wood Board
Hot Cross Buns Recipes