LaundryCleaning

Getting Kids to Turn Laundry Right Side Out

As a mother of 3 boys, laundry day was every day. I found I was spending a lot of time turning clothes right side out. After asking them a million times (at least) not to put clothes in the hamper inside out, I finally just started leaving them that way. It didn't take long before I won that little battle. My boys are grown now and still don't leave their clothes inside out. It's a small thing, but it does save some time. (Works on husbands too!)

By Debnanny from SC

At my house the rule is that you have to turn your clothes inside out before putting them in the hamper. Washing clothes inside out, buttoned and zipped up, saves wear and tear on their appearance and when they come out of the dryer they stay inside out when they are hung up. Sometimes clothes can be worn more than once before needing to be washed, like church clothes on Sunday when everyone changes into casual clothes when they get home. So if clothes are right side out they are assumed to be clean enough to be worn again.

I learned this tip from my son after he left home and it makes lots of sense!

I have 4 daughters. I used this same trick to remind them to do the same. They got tired of doing before they had to wear whatever it was they wanted, that they started doing it before it hit the hamper. So I definitely gave this a thumbs up!

Sometimes the best solutions are the easiest!! Works for whichever way you want the clothes to be turned, I should think, but if you wanted them inside out, you could just not launder them if they came the wrong way. Of course, my boys did their own laundry after they were 10 years old, so that was even more help for me.

This is something I did with my family and it worked fine, no one ever complained about their clothes being inside out. I just washed them as they were and let the family sort them out . Now, I live in a place without a dryer, so I prefer to launder clothes inside out, so that when they are hung on the clothesline, they only fade on the inside.