Growing Flowers for My Wedding

I want to grow my own flowers for my wedding next summer, preferably perennials. which I would start growing right away. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what kind of flowers would look best if you grew them yourself.

Jennyttt from Belle Plaine, MN

Congratulations on your upcoming nuptials! Depending on the date of your wedding, growing flowers to bloom in time is going to be tricky. As you know, we Minnesota gardeners can be lying in the sun in mid-March only to find ourselves shoveling snow in mid-June. I would also recommend watching for what comes into bloom this summer about the same time you'll be tying the knot next summer. Maybe you'll see some annuals you can start indoors this winter or maybe even find some wildflowers you love. I would start at the University of Minnesota Extension Agency website. It's an excellent resource for growing flowers in Minnesota, including lots of color photos and a calendar featuring garden tours and events. The Minnesota State Horticultural Society also puts out a magazine called Northern Gardener. The Twin Cities has so many great gardens to tour-the U of M Landscape Arboretum, the Como Zoo Conservatory, and the Eloise Butler Flower Garden-just to name a few. It might be fun to plan an outing with your family or members of your wedding party to explore some of these gardens. They may even enjoy helping you grow your flowers.

Good Luck!

About The Author: Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at

Lilies are beautiful (stargazers) and my favorite flower. They seem to last a long time, not to mention they smell wonderful! Daisies are easy to grow and are very pretty also.

I would be carefully checking out all the flower beds in my area THIS summer..... especially the same week as your wedding is planned for NEXT summer. See what flowers are pretty and growing profusely. Many flowers have a fairly short time frame that they bloom or bloom abundantly. I have lillies that are beautiful when they bloom........but they bloom for only a short period of time, not all summer. I also have peonies that are wonderful.......for maybe a week! Just because you can find some in a greenhouse or nursery does not guarantee that you can grow them at home yourself and have them bloom at the right time! I just don't want you to be disappointed. The Sam's Club in our area sells fresh flowers in bulk at reasonable prices. The carnations and roses are really pretty. Perhaps that could be your backup plan if the homegrown flowers don't produce as hoped. Best Wishes and happy planning for your wedding!

I agree with Grandma Margie, make sure that the flowers you want will be in bloom during the time of your wedding. Dahlias are very pretty and bloom for a long time. Herbs like lavender, mint, marjoram, and even Italian parsley in bloom all are pretty and go nicely in a bouquet. Alstromeria blooms only for about a month but makes beautiful bouquets.

Susan from Thriftyfun

Both roses and peonies are beautiful and smell great too and have big blooms so it wouldn't take too many.

shasta daisies are easy to grow, but you should plant them this year to use them next year. also you can grow your own carnations and baby's breath.

I would look for red carnation plants and white baby's breath for a dramatic look. If you order plants already started instead of seeds, maybe from online, then you will be ahead of the game.good luck and congratulations!

btw I did my own flowers too and I used dried wheat and a small version of sunflowers, and some purple freeshia. Our wedding was western themed and held out doors.

Cafe au lait Dahlias give a lot of bang for your buck!

Their enourmous size makes it easy to create grand scale arrangements.They mix well with greens and other smaller blooms like roses to make lovely classical arrangements if you use muted shades like cafe au lait, with pastel roses and calla lilies...but Dahlias come in vivid colors as do roses and calla lilies, so pick your color palette and all of these blooms will come together to make the arrangements you desire. Great idea by the way...I'd do it myself, if my wedding were taking place in my hometown, but we are hosting a destination wedding on a tropical coast.

i agree lillies would look beautiful, you can get all kinds of tones, you can buy them in bulb and will grow for next year, and will last a long long while, peace lillies are extreamly beautiful you could pot them and have them all prepped ready for your wedding, ive had some potted and living in my bathroom in bloom for a year now the are totally beautiful they are cheap to buy also from supermarkets. a beautiful idea to grow your own, il keep that in mind for when i get down the aisle it gives a lovely personal touch. good luck and congrats :)

Growing your own wedding flowers.
Growing Your Own Wedding Flowers
Weddings FlowersJune 7, 2006
Plant wedding favors.
Giving Plants as Wedding Favors
A married couple in a moutain setting.
Ideas for a "Green" Wedding
Two tiered wedding cake with flowers on top.
Saving Money on a Wedding Cake
Colorful Bridal Bouquets
Choosing Wedding Colors