AdviceRecipes

Fannie Farmer Cookbooks

I have a lot of cookbooks and, even though I don't often use a cookbook anymore, I always keep my copies of "The Fannie Farmer Cookbook" and "The Fannie Farmer Baking Book" on hand.

I can't recommend the cookbook highly enough, especially for cooks who aren't quite sure of themselves yet. For me, it is a reference book for recipes I don't often make. I check Fannie first, and will usually find the thing I am looking for, or, at the least, a recipe that provides a starting point.

I will usually tinker with any recipe (except for baking), and I often have to tinker with these recipes, finding them to be a bit bland for my tastes. But I will at least find the starting point, and that is great.

Checking the index is certainly faster, for me at least, than checking the internet. Moreover, I often find some ideas I didn't know I was looking for, lol.

As for the baking book, every recipe I have ever tried from that book is really good. From pies, to muffins, to yeast breads, you will usually find a really good recipe for what you are making within it's covers. Either book would make a really good present for new cooks.

Source: I've been using the cookbook since I was a kid, though I have a newer edition now. I have been using the cookbook since I bought the book club edition in the 90s.

By Copasetic 1 from North Royalton, OH

Yay! Fannie Farmer. Learned a lot from that cookbook. My copy is all smudged and bookmarked.