Removing Valve Covers

I have turn-off valves above my washer and they have covers on them like on a bathtub valve, not the round type. I need to change out the washers but I can't get the covers off because of lime and calcium build up. I have taken the screws out and have been spraying Lime Away into the little holes but of course that is not working.

Any brilliant ideas on how to get these covers off? Because the stick straight out from the wall, I can't put a bag of vinegar over them. I've been toying with using a hacksaw with a diamond blade to saw them off!

Gayle from Scottsdale

Answers

I am not exactly sure what your taps look like but if you removed screws that hold on the handles, spraying lime away is not getting to the calcium build up. There should be hex head nut behind the handle that has to come off with a wrench. First turn off the water and do not saw the faucets off or you will have bigger problems that calcium build up.

If you don't understand what you are doing you can explain the problem to someone in the plumbing dept at a big box store or at a hardware store. They will help and show you how to get your problem resolved.

Home and Garden Repair Home PlumbingDecember 1, 2008
lace tank topper
Making Toilet Tank/Lid Covers
metal burner covers
Uses for Burner Covers
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Repairing a Leaky Shower Valve
Homemade Heart Duvet Covers
Homemade Duvet Covers
🎉
🎄