Lemon Friands

When I make pastry crust for quiches, I use an egg yolk in the recipe. I store the unwanted egg white in the freezer and when I have six egg whites, I make Lemon Friands. The egg whites never seem to deteriorate and whip up beautifully.

Ingredients

• 185 grams butter, melted
  • 1 cup almond meal or ground almonds
  • 2 tsp. grated lemon rind
  • 1 and a half cups icing or confectionary sugar
  • Ad
  • Half a cup plain flour
  • 6 egg whites
  • Extra tsp. icing sugar
  • shredded lemon peel for decoration

Directions

Preheat oven to 200 degrees C (400 degrees F). Grease 10 friand tins or muffin tins.

Place butter, almond meal, lemon rind, sifted icing sugar and flour together in a mixing bowl. Mix until well combined.

In a separate bowl lightly whip egg whites until frothy. Fold egg whites into almond meal mixture until just combined. Do not over mix. Spoon into prepared tins and place on baking tray.

Bake at 200 deg C for 20 to 25 minutes or until skewer comes out clean when tested. Remove from oven and allow to stand for five minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool. When cool dust with the extra icing sugar and sprinkle a little shredded lemon rind over top to decorate.

Source: The tip about the egg whites I worked out for myself over years. The recipe came from Better Homes and Gardens, a magazine printed in Australia. Don't know if it's available in the US. I never saw it when visited but it could be there. It's good value.

If I am fortunate enough to win, please donate any winnings to one of your children's hospitals. Cheers By Margaret from Victoria, Australia

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts CookiesJanuary 14, 2008
Lemon Oil
Cleaning With Lemon Oil
Bottle of lemon juice and a cut lemon
Cleaning With Lemon Juice
Shelf Life of Lemon Curd
Shelf Life of Lemon Curd
Lemon Squares on a plate with lemon slices.
Lemon Squares Recipes
🎉
🎄