Dandruff ControlHair Tips

Dove Bar Soap Flaky Scalp Remedy

I read a tip, on another site, about using DOVE BAR SOAP [and ONLY DOVE in the bar form] as a remedy to clear up a flaky scalp, instead of shampoo products. Any thoughts or experiences on this out there?

Amy from Walnut Creek, CA

HiAmy,

I don't know about using Dove soap on your scalp, but one remedy I've used is apple cider vinegar. I learned this trick from a hairstylist and it works great for me! It also removes product buildup from your hair. You can either put 1 cup of vinegar in a pitcher with about 3 cups of water and pour it over your hair in the shower (just be VERY careful not to get it in your eyes!!) or - this is the way I prefer - put the vinegar and water mixture in a bowl and lean back over it letting your hair and scalp get thoroughly wet. Stay there for about 5 minutes, massaging the mixture into your scalp. Have a towel or washcloth handy to cover your eyes and keep the vinegar water from dripping down your face when you lift your head up. I have posted a lot of home remedies like this on my free website www.fruitfacial.net. Check it out and let me know what you think. :) And good luck!

Heidi - Thank you for your feedback...and I have already bookmarked your site for further exploring! [fun] One question about using vinegar:

I have LONG, THICK hair. I have tried vinegar in the past and I could rinse my hair for a week nonstop...and my hair STILL stinks! WHat can one do about that!?? I walk around attracting vegetables in the produce department at the grocery store! [grin]

Hi Amy,

The use of Dove bar soap doesnt fit in with what I know about flaky scalps. I use Dove bar soap on the rest of my body because I have sensitive skin and allergies. However, my book on natural healing says flaky skin on the scalp (dandruff) actually comes from oils on the scalp that causes skin cells to clump together into flakes. I know many people think "dry skin" when they see those flakes, but in my experience that is not the case.

Seborrhea, a scalp condition with flakes like dandruff, is actually a yeast infection. Cider vinegar others have mentioned may make the skin more acidic (which is the natural state for its mantel) but in severe cases will not be of much help. I have prescription medication for my scalp, but I find if I wash my hair every day with Nizoral shampoo or with Head and Shoulders 2% formula, it controls the itching, flaking, and cradle cap conditions. If I miss a day using one of those products, I must use the prescription med on my scalp.

I hope some of what I've described here will be of some help to you. I care.

Thank you, Carol, for your feedback. The soap idea sounded pretty sketchy to me. The thought of rubbing a bar of soap on my head....I cringe. I think, like you, I will just stick with my Pantene and Head and Shoulder formulas for dandruff. I hear you in regard to the scalp not being dry skin per say, but an accumulation of oils. Thank you for refreshing my memory. Amy

Dove bar works on my dandruff.

Dove soap works great for preventing dandruff. I found this out after running out of shampoo and opting for the convenience of my Dove unsented bar soap. Dandruff is produced from oil, not from a dry scalp. Therefore, bar soap, which is meant to wash skin and remove oils, can also remove the oils in the hair. Instead of using natural shampoos, or even worse popular brands of shampoo, I now use Dove soap to shampoo. I have very think hair so I don't wash my hair everyday. After a couple of days without Dove, I get lots of dandruff and the itching. With Dove, my hair still produces dandruff, but it is much less and more manageable. This is all based on my experience and hair type, but I would definitely give it a try. What's the worse that could happen?