Removing Hard Water Deposits On Brass Fountains

I have 2 indoor brass water fountains that have accumulated hard water deposits of calcium lime I believe, on the surface of where the water trickles down on the fountains. I once used the CLR Limeaway but it removed some of the paint that the brass has. Is there anything out there that I can use to clean away the deposits? The sculptured brass fountains have lost a lot of their beauty because of the white deposits all over them.

Jesse from El Paso, TX

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Vinegar. Wet some towels and place them on the area and let sit, and then rinse and repeat as necessary.

Vinegar is an acid, as is CLR, but it is not as strong. It should be enough to remove the lime deposits. Don't let the vinegar sit for a long time. I would just spray it on the lime, let it fizz and bubble, maybe scrub with an old toothbrush. And then rinse off. If one application doesn't do the trick, repeat as many times as you need to.

In the future you could use softened water, or distilled water to avoid the lime deposits.

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

Keeping Water Fountains Free of Mineral Deposits
Home and Garden Cleaning MetalJune 18, 2008
Antique Brass Sink
Cleaning a Brushed Antique Brass Sink
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener
Brass Buddha figurine on floral fabric.
Homemade Brass Cleaner Recipes
Water Heater
Removing Calcium Deposits in a Water Heater
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 8:12:32 AM on 10.0.0.240 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.