Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Hard Water Deposits On Brass Fountains

Pin It

I have 2 indoor brass water fountains that have accumulated hard water deposits of calcium lime I believe, on the surface of where the water trickles down on the fountains. I once used the CLR Limeaway but it removed some of the paint that the brass has. Is there anything out there that I can use to clean away the deposits? The sculptured brass fountains have lost a lot of their beauty because of the white deposits all over them.

Jesse from El Paso, TX

By

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Louise B. [4]06/21/2008

Vinegar is an acid, as is CLR, but it is not as strong. It should be enough to remove the lime deposits. Don't let the vinegar sit for a long time. I would just spray it on the lime, let it fizz and bubble, maybe scrub with an old toothbrush. And then rinse off. If one application doesn't do the trick, repeat as many times as you need to.

In the future you could use softened water, or distilled water to avoid the lime deposits.

By Julie [2]06/20/2008

Vinegar. Wet some towels and place them on the area and let sit, and then rinse and repeat as necessary.