More Secure Deadbolts and Door Locks

I have found that a cheap and easy way to increase security with deadbolts and door locks is to buy a box of 3 inch screws to secure the strike plate instead of the puny 3/4 inch screws that commonly come with a lockset.

I figured this out one time when I was looking at getting new door locks and noticed there was different "security levels" with the locksets. The only difference I could see with the higher security lockset was longer screws for the strike plates.

I've worked in the building industry and have noticed if you are concerned about security. Order a composite door frame, the material is extremely strong. The cost is more initially but if you are concerned about security this is a better investment.

Yeah, but we're talking about thrifty right? A new door frame isn't exactly thrifty. It is possibly to strengthen a door frame without having to get a new one, but that is much more involved than longer screws for the strike plate.

Man Replacing Deadbolt and Door Lock on Door
Replacing Deadbolts and Door Locks
Home and Garden Home Improvement Home SafetyJune 29, 2006
Oven Door Towel
Making an Oven Door Towel
A cat door installed in an old door.
Teaching a Cat to Use a Cat Door
Security Lock
Inexpensive Security Locks
A screen serving as a temporary door.
Installing a Temporary Door
🎉
🎄