Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Removing Cat Urine and Feces Odor From Outside

Cats are using the underside of my porch for their bathroom. How do I get rid of the smell and stop them from using that area?

By Lynn from Alvaton, GA

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Kelly Fitzgerald03/23/2011

I put sheets of chicken wire where ever I don't want them to go. They don't like walking on it. Works like a charm.I've also used wire tomato cages to block them.

By Grandma J [46]03/06/2011

The lattice does not have to be permanent. My husband put door hinges on mine so we can get under the porch when necessary. Ask your vet for suggestions. That smell is horrible. Make sure to use the garden sprayer hose under there to wash the soil. Use a weed sprayer type attachment with bleach in to clean the underneath and helps to remove the smell. Using vinegar will help too NOT together as that is toxic. Anyway, you have to close it off to their entrance. My neighbor had this issue as well as they peed in her window wells to her basement. O M G! The same bleach or vinegar washes was all she could do. It smelled into the bedrooms in the basement.

By Sandi [390]03/02/2011

They don't like citrus so put some lemon peels and pieces out there and that will keep them away. Good luck!

By Cindy [3]03/01/2011

Hi Lynn. As Lorelei implied, you need to make this area as inaccessible to feral and wildlife creatures as possible. These critters aren't going to abandon a partially sheltered retreat without such and who could blame them? (They need safe places!)

Lattice work is good for larger animals, but plywood, poly-vinyl or cement block, solid siding will make it more difficult for stray cats, other small mammals, and rodents to find free rent under your porch.

Honestly, these wild critters don't understand human boundaries as shelter is shelter is shelter to them so it's our job to be clear about where we don't want them . . . and I'm not talking about deadly poisons or traps, just obvious boundaries.

We have two porches of which the base is enclosed with cinder blocks. I'm sure the occasional mouse gets under such on occasion, but anything larger would have to dig a very visible hole. I keep an eye on these areas specifically because I don't want to "eliminate" an inadvertent invader: I'd rather put up a "no vacancy" sign - another cinder block or additional barriers. :-)

Find a good clerk at a local or box home improvement store or business to learn of options and ideas, or do some DIY internet searches, or check out a few books on the subject at your local library. I'm sure you can find at least a few solutions that will help you alleviate this problem without harming the inadvertent invaders. Good luck!

By Myrna [13]02/28/2011

Could put up sheets of lattice work fencing around the outside of the porch. It comes in wood as well as various colors of plastic.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Removing Cat Urine and Feces Odor From Outside

How can I remove cat urine and feces odor from outside in the dirt? A neighbor's cat uses the dirt outside my window as a litter box. Homemade would be great, but will also use ideas for store bought items. Thanks!

By AJ from CA

RE: Removing Cat Urine and Feces Odor From Outside

Well, eventually the product and the odors will degrade and disappear due to sunlight. However, the real problem is to stop the cat from going there, which keeps the problem ongoing. I would pour something they might not like in large quantities there: strong vinegar solution, or a bleach solution. You wouldn't need much. I'd do it every day until the cats conclude it is a bad place. Once they are discouraged for long enough time, they probably will pick another area.

Or put down oyster shells. That will definitely discourage them; you can find them at feed stores for a few dollars for a bag. You will not be able to work in the dirt either as it will cut your hands. I am assuming, perhaps wrongly, that the cat will put it's paws on the shells only one or two steps before concluding it isn't for them; I don't think they would actually dig in it.

Or you could put down tin cans for a week or so, that you normally would put in recycling. Or weighted down, wet newspapers. It might look bad, but only for a while. Just ask yourself what would a cat never go to the bathroom on, in, or dig in. (07/26/2010)

By PIKKA

I would put down undiluted vinegar where they go which should discourage them. Please don't use any bleach or chemicals harmful to animals. Vinegar is very odorous and unpleasant to animals, but it won't hurt them when they lick their paws. It is also unlawful to use anything harmful to animals. If you have a dog, you might try putting some of his hair around that spot also. Most cats don't want to risk having a dog in the area. (07/31/2010)

By Stngray