Organizing Clothing in a Cluttered Apartment

I have a large apartment. The problem is it is over cluttered, mostly with clothes. I want to declutter the whole apartment from top to bottom. Most of the things are brand new items from birthdays and Christmas. Any suggestions on how to start? I am overwhelmed as to where to put anything.

By Linda from Fall River, MA

Best Answer

Move an extra dresser into one of your clothes closets to make for extra storage space.

Also de-clutter your life and donate clothing and household items that you won't use.

Best Answer

If everything is everywhere, you might need to get some bins for the various rooms (plus bins for donations and trash), and just start sorting. I have a handled basket-thing (like you might use to take things to the beach) that I use for my daughter. We toss in all her stuff that migrates into the living room, and she gets to take it back to her room (and hopefully put it away!).

Some people want to plow through the job until everything is done. Others get burned out and it's better for them to set aside some time every day to devote to completing a specific area or task. You're going to have to figure out what works best for you.

My problem is maintenance. I can get it nice looking, but it doesn't seem to last. I'm still working on that . . .

Best Answer

I have the rule when we get something new, we get rid of something. My developmentally disabled adult daughter is real good about going through her clothes and sorting out what has to go, etc. I then go through to make sure she isn't getting rid of something she shouldn't. When her dresser drawers or closet starts to get too full, she starts going through things.

Best Answer

The easiest way to not be overwhelmed with the task is to start by working one room at a time. Put everything "cluttering" that room in a large box or container. Do that in every room. Get each room set the way you want it to look and then gradually take things out of the clutter containers and slowly put it away. A really good place to first start organizing is your closet. Hanging shelves from Wal-Mart work really great for things that don't hang well and don't fit in the bureau and aren't too expensive. Over door shoe organizers can be used for tons of things from makeup to hair care to shoe/socks, etc. Take a little at a time - you'll be surprised how fast it all gets put away.

Try this site, it is called flylady.net. It is all about organizing and hints to keep it neat.

My husband built a wardrobe in our attic and we keep our 'out of season' clothes in it - makes it so much easier to keep the wardrobes tidy and to keep track of what we have. If you don't have room for a spare closet, then think about storing clothes in suitcases or underbed storage.

I agree with drmeidl: flylady.net

One of her biggest rules might serve you well, 15 minutes of work at a time, then rest for 15 and then go back to work for 15...repeat as much as necessary! Use a timer. She also breaks down the home into zones. You work in one zone each week of the month. Another "rule" of hers that I have been repeating to myself a lot lately is that "you cannot organize clutter", you must get rid of it! I see this post is almost a year old so hopefully you already found something that worked for you!

Beautifully Organized Apartment
Organizing an Apartment
Organizing ClothingMay 4, 2010
Composting
Composting in an Apartment
Inexpensive Couch
Inexpensive Furnishings for a Temporary Apartment
An street with an "Apartment For Rent" sign.
Renting an Apartment
Organized Medicine Cabinet
Organizing a Medicine Cabinet
🎉
🎄