General AdviceConsumer Advice

What is a "Mother of the Earth"?

Has anyone but me heard of or ever seen a "mother of the earth"? Mainly I have heard my grandmother talk about them when she lived in Monahans, Texas. I would love to hear anyone who has actually seen one of them. They might be a form of spider or maybe not. They have legs and a body like a spider, but they have a yellow back on them that looks as if they are carrying a poached egg on their backs. I have heard them referred to as "baby of the earth" also.

Robyn from Bristol, TN

Do you mean "grand daddys?" That sounds like what you are describing. If so we were just talking about those the other day, wondering what they eat and live on. I have seen them my whole life mostly in the house, and they like dark areas. I think they are harmless but I still don't like them, too much like a spider in opinion. Not sure if that's what you mean or not.

You are probably right, they probably are some kind of spider.....one dropped in my great grandma's hair one time, and thinking she was reaching for a comb out of her hair she picked it up and was shocked. She told that story over and over about how it had the face of a baby on its back.....odd bug...i am glad to know they are not extinct then.

:)

Racer

This sounds like what we call a Garden Spider. Does it look like any on these two links? Argiope is the name, and there are several kinds. The first link will show the male and female, and the second has good pictures. Both links have good descriptions. They may be called earth mother because they are found in gardens.

http://en.wikip  rg/wiki/Argiope_(spider)

http://home.att  rex/argiope.html

I lived in Northern Arizona back on 1990. I found what looked like a spider, but had front pinchers, up In the top of my closet. Tan in color. It looked like a cross between a scorpion with no tail and a spider. The Navajo exterminator I called said it was a "Mother of the Earth" spider. He said they used to draw a circle in the dirt,(as a kid) on the playground on the reservation school, and the other boys and he would fight them. I thought it was a rare crossover breed between scorpions and spiders. The clicking sound on the floor when they ran(with claws hitting the surface beneath them) , creeped me out!