Clean Out Your Fridge and Make Pimento Cheese

This tip serves two purposes. I designate one day each week to go through my refrigerator to clean out any spoiled food and look for any good leftovers. Once I am finished with this task, I create a new recipe from the leftovers. I will share the recipe I made yesterday. My version of homemade pimento cheese.

• 1/2 of a 1 lb. block of cheddar cheese, which I shredded for the pimento cheese
  • 2 good size scoops of leftover lite cream cheese
  • approximately 3/4 cup salad dressing
  • 2 leftover pieces of garlic, minced finely
  • 3 oz. chopped red pimentos in a small jar I had opened the week before.

All of these ingredients were odds and ends I found while cleaning the refrigerator. To this I added a couple drops of green pepper sauce, about 1/4 tsp. ground fresh pepper, a pinch of cayenne, and a 1/8 tsp. of onion powder. Mix well and chill before serving. My family loved it. We had sandwiches and soup for dinner. This tasted so much better then the store brand and did not contain all the additives.

I use to dread cleaning out the refrigerator, but now I actually look forward to the task and creating a leftover recipe for lunch or dinner that day.

Source: I started doing this about a year ago when I read a tip about keeping your brain active, the suggestion was to designate one day a week to create a new recipe, I believe the tip was in Prevention magazine or Readers Digest, because both have very short articles!

By Bobbie from Rockwall, TX

Pimento Cheese Spread
Pimento Cheese Spread Recipes
Food and Recipes Recipes SandwichesFebruary 27, 2008
Cleaning Your Refrigerator
Cleaning Your Refrigerator
Blue Cheese and Gruyere Mac and Cheese
Blue Cheese and Gruyere Mac and Cheese
Ricotta cheese on fig leaves on white plate, with cheese knife.
Freezing Ricotta Cheese
Cheese Fondue Recipes, Cheese fondue.
Cheese Fondue Recipes