Recipes for Someone with Chronic Renal Failure

Is anyone familiar with the CKD (chronic kidney disease) diet? My husband has just been placed on it. The information we've been given is too vague to me. I've requested a physician referral to a renal dietitian/nutritionist, but am still waiting to hear back on that. Any menu ideas and/or recipes would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Bonnie from Tuckerton, NJ

As a RN I agree that she should seek the advice of her doctor or a dietician. Her diet depends upon which stage or phase of renal failure she is in. For example in one stage she would be allowed proteins, but in another she would need to limit them. Chronic renal failure can turn into end stage renal failure with results in death. Tell her to seek medical advice!

Something that could be critically important--do a google search on fluoride poisoning and renal failure. Processed foods that may have been made with fluoridated water can be very damaging to persons with kidney problems. Don't take my word for it--look it up. Even the FDA and the CDC are on the hot seat for damage done to persons, particularly those with kidney problems.

Do you have a county health department?? In MO, their services are free or very cheap (paid for with tax dollars). A dietitian/nutritionist should be on staff there (as they do the WIC program) and should be able to assist you.

Your best bet would be to contact your local dialysis center and talk to their dietitian. I was a dialysis nurse and our dietitian knew everything. It is one of the hardest diets I have ever encountered. Good Luck.

I have a kidney cleanse that may help someone with kidney problems.

Take 6 large lemons add to I gallon of water and drink it all in 12 hours. I'm sure if you have a disease, it may not be wise to do, but if you have kidney infections. It has kept me out of the doctors office many times.

Try www.davita.com This site has some good recipes along with lots of info. My husband has ckd also. It's difficult to make meals tasty and keep within the guidelines. Good Luck

sb lady

I have had terrible experience in my hometown with nephrologists. they are terribly closed minded, and certain that although I have few issues with my kidney disease that I should be on dialysis now, and refuse to get me a dietician. it's awful. I can't afford to go out of town in hopes of finding a good nephrologist. what's a shame is we are classified as one of the best health centers in the US, but I've not found one descent doctor here. so the technology is high end, the human factor is pathetic. I have come to hate the medical community. they don't listen, and I haven't found any who truly care for the humans they tend to. we're just numbers and dollar signs any more. I'd love to find one I could trust and believe in, but I've about given up. it's all about the machines and the money, not the patient or what the patient would like. they look at the numbers from the blood test, assume that because those numbers usually mean someone has kidney disease that it must be so, and immediately determine we need stuffed in an archaic machine that's not been improved since the original was invented, a machine that is extremely dangerous and can kill just as easily as the disease, and more quickly, and no-one ever considers finding a cure (hundreds of repeated pill, diet and liquid tests at great waste of our tax dollars, tests that have been done dozens of times before that are exactly the same and will bring the same results.) it's a travesty and a crime and I despise the whole system that allows it to happen and allows it to continue.

January 18, 2008 Flag

My friend Libby has been diagnosed with chronic renal failure are there recipes for food for her condition?

Cindy from Corning, CA

Answers:

I googled and found this website. It only gives a few recipes.

http://www.kidney.org/atoz/atozPrint.cfm?id=89

You might find more websites, but will take some research on your part to help your friend.

Libby should contact her doctor and perhaps the doctor can refer her to a dietician so she can be put on a strict diet for her medical condition.

Marge from NY (09/17/2007)

By MCW

http://www.kidney.org/atoz/atozTopic.cfm?topic=4

has links to many helpful recipes and guidelines. I went to "Kidney Foundation", clicked on "patients" and clicked on "nutrition and diet." You can also search for kidney disease diet, dialysis diet, and try calling the nearest hospital, & asking the dietician for a suggestion for websites...or call the Kidney Foundation via their contact info on the webiste I gave . (09/18/2007)

By aardvark

That is a very serious condition. She should be getting advice from her doctor as to her diet. (09/19/2007)

By roblarson

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Food and Recipes Recipes AdviceJanuary 18, 2008
eating a burger
Helping Someone Who is Choking
itchy scalp
Remedies for Psoriasis
Home Remedies for Arthritis Pain
Home Remedies for Arthritis Pain
🎉
🎄