Do Fungus Gnats Bite? - Categories:

AdviceHealth & Beauty

Do Fungus Gnats Bite?

Has anyone been bitten by these little fungus gnats and had a pimple like sore appear?

By TSchultz from New Braunfels, TX

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

Fungus gnats are simply small flies, most of which do not bite!] As with most other insects with four life stages ( egg, larva, pupa, adult), it is the larva or maggot that does most of the feeding. Adult fungus gnats do not bite and are absolutely harmless to people and pets.

Yes, I have. I live in NE. and we started to notice them last summer. There are swarms of them. This year hasn't been as bad as last year. I had noticed them in my house, also. I recieved an e-mail about the gnats. It said that they like the moist soil in house plants. The recipe they suggested is (i-part dish soap) to (4 parts water), put it in a spray bottle & spray the plant soil. I have tried it & it seems to work. kj

The gnats that we get in the spring bite. They come the same time as certain flowers are out. Worse than mosquito bites for itching swelling and pain.

The nasties that are from house plants are a different sort of bug. Just bag your plant, seal it shut, sometimes that is all it takes. Maybe swish a few sprays of dish soap in water on it or if you have to get house plant spray, remember to bag it. These maggot gnats are pesky, and will find places to inhabit in your house if you let them. Remember to rise your drains in your sinks daily with hot water. You have to dislodge their places of hiding.

Thanks T&T Grandma & kagej10, I'll try that. I tried vinegar & water, that helped but did not rid us of them completely! At this point I'll try anything, the house & kitchen flying insect spray doesn't seem to phase them at all, weird little creatures! lol

Health & Beauty AdviceOctober 1, 2009
Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Getting Rid of Gnats
woman caring for a peace plant
Getting Rid of Fungus Gnats
Insect Repellant
Repelling Gnats Outside
Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Diaper Pail
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 22, 2016 at 2:22:35 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.