Do Fungus Gnats Bite?

Has anyone been bitten by these little fungus gnats and had a pimple like sore appear?

By TSchultz from New Braunfels, TX

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By Debbie 7 10/02/2009

Fungus gnats are simply small flies, most of which do not bite!] As with most other insects with four life stages ( egg, larva, pupa, adult), it is the larva or maggot that does most of the feeding. Adult fungus gnats do not bite and are absolutely harmless to people and pets.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Kathy 7 10/02/2009

Yes, I have. I live in NE. and we started to notice them last summer. There are swarms of them. This year hasn't been as bad as last year. I had noticed them in my house, also. I recieved an e-mail about the gnats. It said that they like the moist soil in house plants. The recipe they suggested is (i-part dish soap) to (4 parts water), put it in a spray bottle & spray the plant soil. I have tried it & it seems to work. kj

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Grandma J 54 1,041 10/02/2009

The gnats that we get in the spring bite. They come the same time as certain flowers are out. Worse than mosquito bites for itching swelling and pain.
The nasties that are from house plants are a different sort of bug. Just bag your plant, seal it shut, sometimes that is all it takes. Maybe swish a few sprays of dish soap in water on it or if you have to get house plant spray, remember to bag it. These maggot gnats are pesky, and will find places to inhabit in your house if you let them. Remember to rise your drains in your sinks daily with hot water. You have to dislodge their places of hiding.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Trincia 2 2 10/05/2009

Thanks T&T Grandma & kagej10, I'll try that. I tried vinegar & water, that helped but did not rid us of them completely! At this point I'll try anything, the house & kitchen flying insect spray doesn't seem to phase them at all, weird little creatures! lol

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No