Remedies for a Cat With Dry Skin

I have a 9 yr. old long haired cat who is a very picky eater. She has such bad dry skin and is licking herself to where she is starting to have little open sores. She won't eat anything, such as oil on her dry cat food. What can I do to moisturize her skin?

By Ann from Tipp City, OH

My 13 year old cat had flakey skin on his back. We started trying different foods. So far we've gotten the best results with Blue Buffalo Indoor Sensitive Skin. http://www.bluebuff.com/products/cats/ss-sensitive-turkey.shtml

We buy ours at Petsmart, but I think I've seen Blue Buffalo in the Petco ads (not sure which varieties). Hope you find a solution for your kitty soon (you could always seek advice from your vet). Best of luck!

I had luck with purinna sensitive system. I had a cat that got sores when they have sores they do need an antibiotic and possibly steroids. Then I supplemented with Fish oil that I just punctured one soft gel over the food 2 times a day some times this is a way to add oil to the diet if changing food isn't and option. also if you use air fresheners and carpet powders this can be an allergic reaction. If your cat is allowed out side this can be again allergies try bathing with baby shampoo and condition with cholesterol can help the skin.

I don't know what to do about the dry skin, but if your cat is licking herself and making open sores, the first thing you need is a plastic cone to put over her head so she can't do this. I had one for my cat when he had stitches on his paw. I got it from the vet. I don't know if they have them in pet stores. Get this thing right away to prevent infections and further complications.

You should really take your cat to a vet for diagnosis, as it may not be a dry skin condition. If the cat has mites, it causes him to scratch enough to form sores. Fleas may also causes this. At any rate, you should take your cat to the vet so that you aren't just treating the symptoms.

I love Purina One cat food for my cat. Its makes her fur all shiny and healthy looking. I first bought it when she had a hairball that required the vet to get out. After I spent $300 on this procedure, I decided that Purina One wasnt so expensive after all as a preventative. OMG, you should have seen the difference in my cat!! Now I would never feed her any other food. She does eat some canned food, but I always have dry Purnia One out for her to eat, too. Try it. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. take the Purina One 30 day challenge and say goodbye to dry skin on the cat.

BTW, all cats have those white flakes. Its called cat dander.

She might have hypothyroid so see vet; if there isn't a medical condition, consider putting plain vasoline on a front paw each day; cat will lick it off.

Have you tried cod liver oil? They have stuff with essential fatty acids for pets. I think the animals love it. Try feeding fish, mackrel & sardines are oily fish & my cats always loved them. Cats & dogs are carnivores & in the wild, they eat everything they need or find it, like when they need a tonic, they eat grass. I would say get the oils into it, & try the fish. Another thing I used to give my cats was the kidneys & liver from whole chicken. Start out with a small piece with whatever you feed her. They need to get use to it. With all the oils, start slow, with just a tiny bit on one or 2 pieces. Once yours gets it for awhile, she will crave it.

Pets CatsDecember 18, 2009
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Dry Sunburned Skin Remedies
Remedies for Dry Sunburned Skin
bandaid covering a skin tag
Remedies for Skin Tags
Lotion happy face on foot
Remedies for Dry Skin
🎄
🍂