Choosing a Weeping Willow Tree

I have wanted a weeping willow tree all of my life, I am now 51. I have tried looking up various types so I know what they will look like when they grow, but am still not sure. In my area, they are selling cherry (white and pink), and "regular" and golden globe.

I want one that is not real expensive and doesn't get too big. Where can I find accurate pictures of the different types of weeping willow trees? I wonder if I should abandon the idea since we live in an urban area? I do, however, have a wetter back yard, which is away from streets and buildings. Thanks.

By Constance from Evansville, Indiana

I have a mini tree called a Mayten tree. It weeps like a weeping willow but stays about 10 tall. I trim the bottom like I do my weeping willow. It fits nicely in my rock garden. It was recommended by the nursery woman who designed my flower gardens. Another good thing about it is it doesn't drip sticky stuff like the weeping willow. It flows with the breeze, which I love.

Be careful of globe willows, they don't handle the wind well. We had all three of ours break off.

Hi Constance!

Look to see what garden centers you have in the Evansville area. They usually carry the trees and plants that will thrive in your zone. Also, go to some of the bigger gardening websites I(i.e. Burpee, Victory Garden (PBS) to get an idea of what kind of willow you are looking for. There are willows like weeping cherry and then you have your standard weeping willow (with the long wisps of branches that sway in the breezes (and the kind they make willow furniture out of). If you have a wet area for the tree that leads me to believe you are looking for a more standard "weeping willow". They love having their feet wet. Do a little online homework and then visit your local landscape/garden center. It sounds like you have just the spot for a weeping willow but, do a little "information gathering" before you start digging. Good Luck!...maggie

Be careful...their roots go so deep and can get into your plumbing. Ours did that all the time. We were always calling roto-rooter to cut them out! They are beautiful though!

Search for "pictures of a weeping willow tree"lot of pictures & info there, good luck.

Just be sure to not plant your tree over or near your septic tank or drain field if you have one.

I think I'd consider a wheeping cherry tree instead. Theyre smaller and get flowers in the springtime.

http://www.ces.  .edu/index.shtml is the website you should go to. It is the Purdue Indiana University which is your state extension service. Click on the ag and natural resource link at the top. This will tell you about the trees that grow in your area, problems, and suggestions. I always go to the county/state extension links when searching problems. Best EXPERT to consult!