Getting Rid of Bamboo

How do I get rid of green bamboo stalks? They are not like tall tan bamboo. They are growing so abundantly in back of the garage. I would like to plant grass, some flowers, and have a place to sit, sun, and BBQ. I bought some weed killer for other weeds, but didn't think it would take care of bamboo. I tried pulling some up last year, but it keeps growing back! Please help. Any advise will be appreciated. Thank you.

By Karen from Pawtucket, RI

We have bamboo everywhere. We can't use chemicals because it is close to our well. We had the yard cleared with a backhoe and this did not help. I understand the the main root can be miles away.

Cassiemay

About 30 years ago, I saw a few stalks on the border of my property. It's a very rural area, zone 4 and I stupidly thought they were cute. For the next few decades, the bamboo and I have been at war. I have tried my very, very best to kill what is now a 40x80 foot area. I have called in specialists after several non-chemical methods failed. No matter what the weather, they merrily continue to grow babies underground and appearing 3-5 feet away from the group. Now I need a cane and have cried "uncle". They have won and are giggling at me.

March 6, 2011 Flag

By Ellen Brown

Q: Does vinegar really kill bamboo? We've cut it down, gut out lots of roots, sprayed with Roundup and weed whacked, and mowed daily, but it keeps growing. What can I use? Where I can I purchase 20-30% vinegar?

Mer serkel

A: Mer serkel,

I'm assuming your trying to rid yourself of Japanese Stilt Grass, also sometimes referred to as bamboo. Perseverance is a necessary virtue when it comes to eradicating this prolific invader. The seeds from this grass can remain viable for up to 7 years, so the key is to stay on top of it and keep it from setting more seed (usually in September). Try spraying an "over the top" mixture of 1 cup salt, 1 gallon of vinegar, and 1 tsp of Ivory dish soap (to get it to stick). This mixture is non-selective and can kill other plants and grasses, so apply it with care. Don't expect to see any changes for at least 24 hours, maybe even several days. Be patient. If you can't find 20-30% acid vinegar at a local feed store, you can strengthen regular 5% vinegar (the kind sold at grocery stores) by boiling it down to half its original volume. An effective commercial alternative is Ornamec, a herbicide available at many hardware and garden centers.

About The Author: Ellen Brown is our Green Living and Gardening Expert. Click here to ask Ellen a question! Ellen Brown is an environmental writer and photographer and the owner of Sustainable Media, an environmental media company that specializes in helping businesses and organizations promote eco-friendly products and services. Contact her on the web at http://www.sustainable-media.com

Answers:

Getting Rid of Bamboo

This information might help from the American Bamboo Society website: http://www.americanbamboo.org/GeneralInfoPages/ControllingBamboo.html
(06/19/2005)

Getting Rid of Bamboo

Get that vinegar at Home Depot. (07/29/2005)

By cookwie

Getting Rid of Bamboo

Here is a link to some more ways of getting rid of bamboo.

http://www.bambusero.co.nz/faq/

I like the bit about sending in the pigs. (11/17/2006)

By Harvey

Getting Rid of Bamboo

I cut down the stalks; some 30-40 feet high. Then I used a large sump grinder which goes pretty deep and disintegrated all the roots. (04/27/2008)

By Joe from Ft. Wash, MD MD

Clumps of bamboo growing.
Getting Rid of Bamboo
Home and Garden Gardening WeedsMarch 6, 2011
spatula, spoon, and fork
Using Bamboo Cooking Utensils
Bamboo growing in a yard.
Selling Bamboo Plants
Bamboo
Selling Bamboo
Growing Lucky Bamboo
Growing "Lucky Bamboo"
🎉
🎄