My Frugal Life: One Income Family

You may be a single mom who is having to raise her child on her own, looking to hear about others who are also in the same boat as you. You may just want to pick up a few tips on how to make ends meet. My Frugal LifeYou may be a family managing on one income because of job loss, disability or just want to stay out of the rat race. It's not impossible. Choices may need to be made; wants versus needs, etc.

I have always been a penny pincher from day one. As a teenager growing up at home, I clipped coupons and took them shopping from time to time when mom went to the grocery store. I also clipped UPS's from product packages and sent away for rebates.

Once out on my own and later married, I continued my thrifty ways. At times we were a one income family. I worked part time from time to time over the years. I would work opposite my husband's shifts so we wouldn't have to pay a sitter. I always had to be careful with grocery shopping and always tried to do my part cutting back where I could to contribute to lowering the bills.

Our mortgage and truck payments were quite high. He chose to have everything paid off quickly, so we struggled in the grocery department end of things. Most times we would only live on $50 every 2 weeks for groceries, and living up north, that was a struggle. It was good that I had family here to help at times.

During my married life, I developed anxiety and IBS (Irritable bowel syndrome), which made having a regular 9-5 job difficult.

Twenty years fast forward, I got divorced. During those 3 years of surviving on my meager part time job pay cheque, it was tough. I lived in low income housing and did my best. I lived with my 2 daughters for 3 years before I met my prince charming and moved in with him.

Now I am a stay at homer- choosing to write this book to get myself out of the rat race, and do what I enjoy; being home and looking for ways to save us money, while at the same time not changing our quality of life too much.

I have written a book on one income living, which is currently at the publishers and will be available this year. I hope you will drop over to pick up more tips from my blog site and read more about me and my family.

Making less... go farther- Stretching the One Income Dollar

Monique R.

Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeSeptember 16, 2009
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
A cat with an empty food dish.
Free Pet Food for Low Income Families
Single Income Mom
Single Income Living
Woman Working Call Center
Finding Part-time Work