Enjoy a Peaceful Ride Home

Anyone who has to pick up their kids or grandkids from a childcare situation after work knows that the ride home can sometimes be filled with whining and complaining as the kids are tired and hungry. I have eliminated that problem with my little grandson by always bringing one special toy or book with me when I go to get him. He is very happy to see what came along for the ride and now spends the short ride home busy in play or looking at pictures. It's a much more pleasant ride home.

By Marie from West Dundee, IL

Anybody can tell you were a mom before you were a grandma! It takes awhile to think of this stuff and usually by that time the kids are gone and you can't use it!

What a great idea! You're a very thoughtful grandmother.

That is a great idea. We usually sing songs and play games together when we travel anywhere. My kids love to play "Sally Went To The Grocery Store".

The first person says "Sally went to the grocery store, and bought something that begins with..." and picks the first letter or letters of whatever it is they want the others to guess. (PB would be for peanut butter, or C would be for cookies, etc) then whoever guesses the correct answer gets to go next and so on.

We played this game when I was a young child, and I continued the tradition with my own kids. It helps to teach children what letters words begin with (for the young ones we keep it simple, then get progressively harder as they get older and more educated), and is a great way to avoid fighting or whatever in the car. Everyone gets involved, and nobody gets bored.

This is a great idea. You are a good Grandma for doing that but I know it saves you some aggrevation too, not having to hear the whining! I keep little toys and books in my van at all times so my kids have something to occupy themselves. When we go on longer trips we hook up the portable DVD player and they are very content (for the most part) to watch movies.

Keeping Kids Entertained on Road Trips, Photo of a child with earphones on in the back seat of a car.
Keeping Kids Entertained on Road Trips
Parenting Toddler and Preschooler AdviceFebruary 11, 2008
Bed bug next to grains of rice.
Preventing Bed Bugs From Moving With You
Dog Riding in the Car
Getting Pets Used to Riding in the Car
Setting Up a Carpool to Work, Man Getting in Work Car Pool
Setting Up a Carpool to Work
A boy on a horse taking horseback riding lessons.
Learning to Ride a Horse