Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

How Much is a Stick of Butter?

My mother's recipe for chocolate pound cake calls for 6 sticks of whipped butter. I can only find the whipped butter in 8 oz. tubs. How many tubs of whipped butter will I need to equal 6 sticks of whipped?

By Joyce from Salisbury, NC

Editor's Note: A "stick" of butter equals 1/2 cup

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Keasha Dawn S.01/04/2014

How much is 6 teaspoons of butter with in a stick??

By Anonymous [848]11/01/2010

zachlechler, before you insist I am incorrect about sticks of butter measurements you might want to check out this link which includes photographic proof. ;-)

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf69154249.tip.html

By Oluthon10/31/2010

Also, shortening may be a good substitute for butter (since it is much cheaper) but also be aware that "butter flavored" Crisco just has coloring in it. It is much easier to mix and converts to the same amount.

By Oluthon10/31/2010

First of all: a standard "Stick of butter" always means 4 ounces. a "half-stick" is two ounces so Deeli is incorrect in saying that 4 ounces is no longer the standard. Secondly, fatboyslimsmom, if you are talking about mixing butter (or other fat) with sugar in the beginning of a recipe, it may be called "creaming". This means to blend your butter and sugar until they are no longer able to be distinguished from each other. to "whip" butter would mean to whip it separately then add your sugar in (by whatever means are most appropriate, whether that be folding it or whipping). Always be aware that the more you allow you butter to melt (if you are baking) the more it will spread in the oven.

By Amanda10/02/2010

G'day - I am from Australia and would just like to add that when people from the US talk about a Tablespoon it is a different measurement than what we have here in Australia for a tablespoon. An American tablespoon is only 15g or 3 teaspoons and Australian tablespoons are 20g or 4 teaspoons so be sure to make allowances for this difference.
Edited to add: if 8 American tablespoons = 1 stick of butter then you would only need 6 Australian tablespoons to equal the same amount of butter.

By REE [1]08/21/2010

4 sticks is 16 oz
6 sticks would be 16 + 8
Whipped store bought butter has either water added to it or oil. Recipes that say add sugar and 6 sticks butter whipped generally mean whip the sugar and butter together till light and fluffy. Chances are this was written to mean 6 sticks of butter whip it so it would be easy to add in drys.

ria

By Linda Kennedy [1]08/20/2010

I would buy the actual sticks and whip them. Whipped butter has additives to keep it spreadable.

By Anonymous [848]08/20/2010

As others have mentioned you can simply whip the butter yourself and save oodles of money. ;-) Also, not all sticks of butter are 4 oz anymore. The brand of butter I buy now comes in 2 oz sticks (8 sticks to a pound) so we all need to start using ounce, tablespoon or cup in measurements for our recipes because 'sticks' for measurement are no longer the standard.

By anne [10]08/20/2010

Joyce, I think that is more of a "recipe instruction" than it is a recipe measurement! Should probably read: 6 sticks of butter, whiped

By dan ward [5]08/19/2010

I stick of butter equals 4oz

By Joan [13]08/19/2010

I would take it that the recipe meant to take six sticks of butter and whip them.

By Marjorie C. Woodworth [82]08/19/2010

1 stick of butter = 4 oz. So you would need to buy 3 - 8 oz. tubs of the whipped butter.

Compare prices and see if it would be cheaper to buy the butter and whip it yourself than the whipped butter.

By Frances Adams [11]08/19/2010

Do you have any way to verify that it means to take 6 sticks of butter, and whip them? That is how I read it.
I often write recipes for family, and try to add notes for situations such as that, where I know what I mean, but it may not be a standard recipe instruction.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

Could you please explain to me how much is a stick of butter? I am in Australia and we weigh in metric.

Thanks,

Christine from Melbourne, Australia

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

One stick of butter is 8 tablespoons, and that equals 118.259 mililiters. I don't know for sure if that's what you need, but there's a good metric conversion tool at http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/conversions.htm (08/01/2006)

By Kim

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

Continued.... A stick of butter which is 8 tablespoons equals .113 kilograms. I think kilograms is what you need rather than milliliters. I hope this helps. (08/01/2006)

By Kim

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

Four sticks of butter weigh one pound, or 16 ounces. This is how we usually purchase it here in the US, in a 4 stick, one pound box. One "stick" of butter weighs 4 ounces. One stick of butter is 1/2 cup and if I'm reading my measuring cup correctly, would be somewhere between 120 to 125 ml. Hope this helps! I'm sorry I haven't learned the metric system. I believe my grandchildren have learned it. Wish one of them were here so I could ask them! (08/01/2006)

By Grandma Margie

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

Well, I don't know metric, but a stick of butter is 8 tablespoons or 4 ounces. I hope you can convert this to metric now. (08/01/2006)

By

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

It is 113 grams (or 4 oz. standard) (08/01/2006)

By camo_angels

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

Thanks everyone, I can now make the recipe for toffee. (08/02/2006)

By downunderchick

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

1 STICK EQUALS 1/2 CUP OF BUTTER (08/02/2006)

By imaqt1962

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

It's a half of a cup (08/02/2006)

By kyx2wa

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

Food conversion charts - a good reference for all to save.

http://longstrom.com/foodconversioncharts.htm (08/02/2006)

By aardvark

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

Here's another website that you can convert almost anything:

http://www.onlineconversion.com/

One stick of butter is 1/2 cup or approx. 113 grams. (08/02/2006)

By Kimmmbo

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

Another way to figure it is a stick of butter is 8 tablespoons. (08/02/2006)

By Linda

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

UNITED STATES 1 STICK OF BUTTER EQUALS 113 GR. APROX, 1/2 CUP (NOTE: IN MEXICO 1 STICK OF BUTTER EQUALS 90 GR.) (08/02/2006)

By Midori

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

http://www.gourmetsleuth.com/conversions.htm

Click on the volume conversion or the metric conversion chart. In the US sticks of butter are sold 4 to a package, one package is 1 pound or 16 ounces. One stick of butter is 4 ounces. To convert this to metric I think it is - 1 stick = 4 ounces = 0.1134 killograms. I hope this helps. Bev (08/02/2006)

By

RE: How Much is a cup of Butter?

Into metric please.

Editor's Note: It is 1/2 pound which is 227 grams (10/13/2006)

By Angie

RE: How Much is a cup of butter

How Much is a cup of butter.

Editor's Note: 1/2 a pound or 2 cubes. (07/01/2007)

By kaven

Archive: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

How much does a stick of butter weigh?

Elizabeth from Santiago, Chile

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

Sticks of butter usually come in one pound packages of 4 sticks, so 1 stick equals 1/4 pound. If you buy Land O' Lakes, it has measurements on the side of the stick of butter, as well, with measurements by the tablespoon. (11/21/2007)

By Mary Jo in St. Paul

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

• 1 stick = 1/2 a cup
  • 1 stick = 120g
  • 1 stick = 120ml
  • 1 stick = 4 ounces

I hope this helped. (08/03/2008)

By phe

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

In the USA, 1 stick of butter is 4 ounces which is 115 grams. 120 grams is a little high, by 5 grams, but that really shouldn't effect most recipes. (08/11/2008)

By Dave_C

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

How much would 3/4 stick of butter be?

Editor's Note: It would be 3/8 ths of a cup or 6 tablespoons. (12/10/2008)

By Gladys

Archive: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

As I am in Australia, could you please tell me what quantity 1 stick of butter is in recipes?

Archive: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

How many ounces in a stick of butter?

By sonofman from KY

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

Butter is wrapped in 1 pound packages, and there are 4 sticks in a package so 1 stick is 1/4 pound. A pound is 16 ounces, therefore a stick is 4 ounces. I'm surprised I remember that. Up here in Canada we use grams and kilograms now. :) (09/10/2009)

By quiltmum

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

The butter I buy is eight sticks in a one pound package. All you have to do is read the individual wrapper. Each wrapper shows the amount of tablespoons, cups and ounces. (09/10/2009)

By Deeli

RE: How Much is a Stick of Butter?

1/2 cup or 4 ounces in one stick of butter. 8(1/2 ounce) tablespoons. (09/12/2009)

By Raeb22