How Much is a Stick of Butter?

My mother's recipe for chocolate pound cake calls for 6 sticks of whipped butter. I can only find the whipped butter in 8 oz. tubs. How many tubs of whipped butter will I need to equal 6 sticks of whipped?

By Joyce from Salisbury, NC

Editor's Note: A "stick" of butter equals 1/2 cup

Do you have any way to verify that it means to take 6 sticks of butter, and whip them? That is how I read it.

I often write recipes for family, and try to add notes for situations such as that, where I know what I mean, but it may not be a standard recipe instruction.

1 stick of butter = 4 oz. So you would need to buy 3 - 8 oz. tubs of the whipped butter.

Compare prices and see if it would be cheaper to buy the butter and whip it yourself than the whipped butter.

I would take it that the recipe meant to take six sticks of butter and whip them.

I stick of butter equals 4oz

Joyce, I think that is more of a "recipe instruction" than it is a recipe measurement! Should probably read: 6 sticks of butter, whiped

As others have mentioned you can simply whip the butter yourself and save oodles of money. ;-) Also, not all sticks of butter are 4 oz anymore. The brand of butter I buy now comes in 2 oz sticks (8 sticks to a pound) so we all need to start using ounce, tablespoon or cup in measurements for our recipes because 'sticks' for measurement are no longer the standard.

I would buy the actual sticks and whip them. Whipped butter has additives to keep it spreadable.

4 sticks is 16 oz

6 sticks would be 16 + 8

Whipped store bought butter has either water added to it or oil. Recipes that say add sugar and 6 sticks butter whipped generally mean whip the sugar and butter together till light and fluffy. Chances are this was written to mean 6 sticks of butter whip it so it would be easy to add in drys.

ria

G'day - I am from Australia and would just like to add that when people from the US talk about a Tablespoon it is a different measurement than what we have here in Australia for a tablespoon. An American tablespoon is only 15g or 3 teaspoons and Australian tablespoons are 20g or 4 teaspoons so be sure to make allowances for this difference.

Edited to add: if 8 American tablespoons = 1 stick of butter then you would only need 6 Australian tablespoons to equal the same amount of butter.

First of all: a standard "Stick of butter" always means 4 ounces. a "half-stick" is two ounces so Deeli is incorrect in saying that 4 ounces is no longer the standard. Secondly, fatboyslimsmom, if you are talking about mixing butter (or other fat) with sugar in the beginning of a recipe, it may be called "creaming". This means to blend your butter and sugar until they are no longer able to be distinguished from each other. to "whip" butter would mean to whip it separately then add your sugar in (by whatever means are most appropriate, whether that be folding it or whipping). Always be aware that the more you allow you butter to melt (if you are baking) the more it will spread in the oven.

Also, shortening may be a good substitute for butter (since it is much cheaper) but also be aware that "butter flavored" Crisco just has coloring in it. It is much easier to mix and converts to the same amount.

zachlechler, before you insist I am incorrect about sticks of butter measurements you might want to check out this link which includes photographic proof. ;-)

http://www.thriftyfun.com/tf69154249.tip.html

How much is 6 teaspoons of butter with in a stick??

3 tubs of whipped butter equals 6 sticks .

Food and Recipes Food Tips ConversionsAugust 19, 2010
cooking oil
Stretching Butter With Oil
Jar of peanut butter surrounded by peanuts.
Homemade Peanut Butter Recipes
Frying Fish Sticks
Homemade Fish Stick Recipes
Stick of Butter
How Many Tablespoons in a Stick of Butter?
🎄