Melting Plastic Containers

By Coreen Hart 78 376

Does anyone know how to safely melt plastics to recycle them? I once visited a class in a California high school that was doing that. They cut up and melted down milk jugs and poured them into molds for little games. Then they sold the games to raise money to finance more equipment for their class. I think that would be fun, maybe 2 liter soda bottles, too?

Coreen from Rupert, ID

Showing: Answers Sort

By mcw 80 1,752 Flag

Melting plastics will emit toxic fumes that will either ruin your health for the rest of your life or swiftly kill you.

It's not worth the risk! Also it ruins our environment!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Kim Churchman 3 1,277 Flag

Must echo previous post. Laws against burning plastics would cover melting it too. It stinks!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Lynn 2 5 Flag

You can not control the melt of the 2 litre bottles. I work with them all the time melting them and they come out of the oven how they want to come out. I am in the process of publishing a book on the creations I make.

BTW plastics melt at different temps. And so far I have not been able to melt the hard plastic like bleach bottles, ect. I work with all kinds of bottles to create things. I also do some techniques that others have not heard about unless you belong to a group I am on that I have shared with them.

You can melt plastic 2 litre bottles in the oven at 350 I believe (I just set it and pop them in--I never really look, I just let it get hot and then go for it). Glitz

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

thr522587 Flag

I really don't think this is a safe thing to do on your own for your health or our environmental health without detailed knowledge :-( Here are a couple links that might help answer your questions ...

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00665.htm

http://www.lotfi.net/recycle/plastic.html

http://www.wisegeek.com/how-is-plastic-recycled.htm

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Better Living Green Living Recycling PlasticJanuary 22, 2009
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Melting Chocolate on Wooden Spoon
Melting Chocolate
Uses for Plastic Dog Food Containers
Crochet Melting Snowman
Crochet Melting Snowman
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 9, 2016 at 11:45:30 AM on 10.0.1.210 in 993 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings