Choosing Accent Colors for a Living Dining Room Combination

I have a combo living/dining room. There are cream walls, a burgundy sectional, black end tables, black/dark wood dining set, and cream carpet. I am looking to put more color in this room but on a low budget. I was thinking turquoise and golden yellow as accents. I would like to paint the walls white, if we went with those accent colors. Any ideas, comments, or advice?

By Jenn

Find a color wheel or else go to your paint store and get some paint chips to see what you like. Basically I a firm believer in doing what you like, unless it absolutely screams out that it isn't working.

Keep what you have, cream carpet, wall, and furnishings then find some patterned material (style you like) in several patterns that include some of the basic colors you already have plus your desired turquoise and gold. Make pillow shams, seat covers for dining room, lamp shades or whatever.. Also add color in prints on you walls and color in lamps on your end tables. Books and magazines can also add a zip to a room. Go to the thrift store and find hard cover books with the colors you like and stack or add to any bookshelf you may have. Paint old wicker baskets in your fun colors to hold "stuff". My daughter has found great pieces of fabric at thrift stores, and it doesn't always have to be straight yardage. Scarves and dresses, old drapes can give you some great material. Have fun and you do not have to spend much money and it should look smashing!