Storing Water for Emergencies

Use proper storage containers for water storage. Water should be stored in containers that are made specifically for water storage, or in glass and plastic bottles that were previously used for juice, pop or water. Clean the containers thoroughly before using and make sure that the container has a tight fitting cap. Never use containers that were previously used for pesticides, chemicals, solvents, anti-freeze, oils, etc.

By ThriftyFun

I store water in my freezer in clean, plastic milk jugs. Filling any empty space keeps the freezer operating at maximum efficiency and also keeps everything frozen much longer if you lose power. If the water is ever needed, it is just as good as fresh once thawed.

Water should only be stored in the best plastic containers. On the bottom of the plastic bottle there is a little triangle with a number inside. The lower the number the more chemicals leach into the water. A nalgene bottle and the blue ones you can buy in some stores (like the Sparkletts water comes in) have a number 7 in the triangle, I believe it's the highest number. Bottled water in the stores usually have a 1 or 2 in the triangle, and it isn't desirable to drink.

Keep the water away from light to avoid growing algae. Also, add 5 drops of chlorine bleach to kill bacteria and prevent anything else from growing in it. Keep the bottle tightly sealed or the chlorine will escape from the water.

Also, try to keep the size of containers to 5 gal or less. That way if one container goes bad, you haven't lost your whole supply.

I never thought much about storing water until after Tom Ridges list of things we should do for an emergency.(He Was The Duct Tape Man)

I will tell you my problem with lack of water.(THE TOILET) Yes I have a low flow toilet but it still takes water and even in a house of two we are talking gallons a day. I keep a 5 gallon container in the bathroom,

As far as drinking water I fill and refill old plastic milk bottles up about once a month. they stand out in the open in a corner in the kitchen. I try to use the old water for mopping ,plants, tea water and even heated dishwater. That's right I'm cheap Waste Not Want not. You have got to be today. I am old enough to remember when the only water you paid for was the bill you got from you water company.

I could have never predicted people actually paying over a dollar for a little bottle of water.. Perhaps we ought to go back to the old rain barrels and cisterns,

Naw Man has done a great job polluting the rain and snow with his chemicals. That's Your Progress Folks Drink Up

Amen crystal and thanks for the post as I was wondering if anyone actually knew.

Home and Garden Emergency Snow StormDecember 15, 2005
Homemade Water Guns
Homemade Water Guns
Stockpiling Food in Cellar
Stockpiling Food for Emergencies
Well water running a in a sink.
Removing Rust from Well Water
Water Softener
Buying a Water Softener