Basil Natural Fly Repellent

Flies here in south Alabama are terrible. A friend told about a natural fly repellent. I decided to try it. It's basil! It actually works. I planted seeds in two flower pots, thinned them out, (three or four plants to a pot). After the plants are six to eight inches tall, be sure to "head" the plants (pinch off the heads before they produce flowers). This also encourages the plants to bush out. Place out on your patio, deck or back door.

Before sitting the plants by the back door flies were continually coming in as the door opened. Problem solved! I will definitely use basil again next year. Flies do not like the strong odor / scent of basil. Even as small plants they did a very good job.

By roadgypsygranny from Atmore, AL

I too live in South Alabama and that is a wonderful tip that I will be trying next summer. Does it matter which type of basil you use? Thanks for sharing!

This is the biggest lie ever. I went out and spent $50 on Basil plants and the very next day I have not only the same amount of flies in th house but one landed right on the plant, just to stick to me.

Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Home and Garden Pest Control FliesOctober 16, 2008
Two kids standing in the rain wearing colorful rain boots.
Making Fabric Water Repellent
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Growing Basil
Growing Basil
Fly paper strips hanging by clothes pins.
Making Fly Paper
🎉
🎄