Ice MachinesAppliances

Shutting Off the Water Line to an Ice Maker

The water line to our ice maker was shut off for a couple of weeks unknowingly and the ice maker stopped making ice. Will that cause damage to the ice maker and to the water valve for the ice maker?

By Helen

I don't think so, good luck.

No problem.

As a plumber I can tell you this, no your shut off will not be effected, just shut it off. Go into your freezer (depending what style) you will see a little bar you can flip up to stop the motor from running. Or you may simply have a dial, knob or switch. There will be some form of shut off so that the little motor on the unit will not run and burn out. Contact me if you need additional help. But turn off the motor as it is hooked to the 110 power and is powered by the fridge. Unless the fridge is not running you will have no worries.

Happened to me on a brand new high-end LG. I am very concerned. Please let me know if I burned out my icemaker - is it 100% that units now have built-in shut-off's when water lines are off? Thank you.

We have a Kenmore Elite (freezer on bottom) and left on vacation for two weeks. We shut the water off to the whole house, but forgot to raise the arm to shut the ice maker off in the refrigerator. Result: Had to replace the valve and ice maker itself. Cost with me doing the work: $160. Be safe, if you turn off the water to the ice maker, be certain you disable the ice maker, too. I would do this with ANY model refrigerator.