Shutting Off the Water Line to an Ice Maker

The water line to our ice maker was shut off for a couple of weeks unknowingly and the ice maker stopped making ice. Will that cause damage to the ice maker and to the water valve for the ice maker?

By Helen

I don't think so, good luck.

No problem.

As a plumber I can tell you this, no your shut off will not be effected, just shut it off. Go into your freezer (depending what style) you will see a little bar you can flip up to stop the motor from running. Or you may simply have a dial, knob or switch. There will be some form of shut off so that the little motor on the unit will not run and burn out. Contact me if you need additional help. But turn off the motor as it is hooked to the 110 power and is powered by the fridge. Unless the fridge is not running you will have no worries.

Happened to me on a brand new high-end LG. I am very concerned. Please let me know if I burned out my icemaker - is it 100% that units now have built-in shut-off's when water lines are off? Thank you.

Home and Garden Repair Appliances Ice MachinesMarch 17, 2010
Kenmore Refrigerator's Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice
Refrigerator
Refrigerator's Ice Maker Not Making Ice
Refrigerator Ice Maker
Refrigerator Ice Maker Not Getting Water
View of the water line.
Flushing a Refrigerator Water Line
🎉
🎄