Wild Bird Seed Storage

All year long, we feed the wild birds outside, we buy our wild bird seed and black sunflower seed in 25 lb. and 50 lb. bags. We keep our bird seed in a large Rubbermaid trash can with wheels, outside, at the end of our deck. We pour the birdseed alternating each until our container is close to full.

Also, inside the "barrel" as we call it, we keep one of those big tins decorated in holiday designs (that hold 3 varieties of popped popcorn, empty of course!) that we use to carry the birdseed to the feeders, as well as a cup to scoop the seed with, for filling the feeders. This is more frugal for us, than just keeping a 25 lb. bag of seed somewhere and having to re-buy every week or so. Our "barrel" of seed, lasts a long time. Hope this can help others out there.

By Terri from NV

In our area, we would be feeding the bears if we did this. I put a plastic trash can with seed in it in our garage and somehow the squirrels got into our garage and chewed through the lid and had a feast. We have to store our birdseed in our house. Hopefully, the bears and squirrels won't figure out how to open the door!

Down here in Florida Citrus rats ate into my heavy

plastic barrels.

I had to resort to Metal Garbage cans.

Hey! The LORD loves Y'all MUCHLY!!!

I store my dry dog food and/or cat food in Rubbermaid trash cans with locking lids.

How do you stop the moisture build up inside the barrel in summertime?

The squirrels chewed through the lid of my rubbermaid container and the rain got in and ruined a full huge bag of bird seed. Going to try the metal container suggestion...darned squirrels!

bird feeder
Storing Bird Seed
Home and Garden Gardening Birds & Bird HousesJanuary 5, 2006
Homemade Wild Bird Food
Homemade Wild Bird Food
Bird Seed
Covering a Bird House With Bird Seed
growing snap dragons from seed
Growing Flowers from Seed
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed