Starting a Bent N Dent Grocery Store

Opening a salvage or bent n dent grocery store is a popular small business opportunity. This is a guide about starting a bent n dent grocery store.

November 13, 2013 Flag

I want to start a Bent and Dent store in Caledonia, Minnesota and need to find out how to get it started and who to buy my shipments from. Can you help with this information?

By clproudma07

You probable need to start with your state, county and city offices to find out all the regulations regarding this type of store. Be prepared to be shocked (some states are more strict than others)!

September 5, 2012 Flag

I am very much considering opening a bent and dent grocery store in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. I am looking for any information about were to get product and regulations please. Thank You

By Sara

Were you successful with opening your bent and dent store?

October 27, 2014 Flag

I am starting a Bent and Dent food store. Where can I get the food?

By Tom from Waterford, OH

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Might be a good idea to make sure you can get the food before you advertise or even plan to open. Beyond that, I would contact the local food manufacturers and larger grocery chains to find out if they ever have any surplus. Make sure you have the proper zoning permits and then advertise like crazy. Good luck. PBP

October 23, 2014 Flag

Looking to open a salvage grocery store in New Hampshire, and would like to know if anyone has any info on reputable suppiers in the New England area. Thank you!

By Chris

Start your research with answers that have been given others on Thrifty.

Opening a salvage store is very complicated and legal aspects should be researched before looking for "suppliers" (if you have not already done this).

Almost any store in your community could be a "supplier" as most stores use services like this (usually larger stores).

The problem is that almost all stores will use a bidding process to find their buyers. This is many times required by state laws (called "fair" by state/county). This means you would have to find when a contract will be up for bid and go through the whole process and you would be bidding against very experienced store owners.

The contract would have a time frame (maybe 3 - 6 or 12 months). Also you will find that part of the contract will require that you purchase EVERYTHING they have that week. Also, they are usually very strict on the "buyer" being on time and if you miss a week they can cancel your contract.

Most new store owners will try to buy from the person who "wins" the contract and this way they can buy only what they can afford and learn the business in the process.

October 23, 2014 Flag

I live in Missouri and need info on starting a store, suppliers, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

By Cathy S.

There is a lot of information about Bent & Dent stores on Thrifty and you can Google a question also. It can be a complicated process but it can be done.

Each state may have different rules/regulations so you may have to research through your local offices. Florida sales tax office did, at one time, carry leaflets on opening a store like this so maybe you could ask at your local office. You will need to have an "account" with your sales tax office anyway so go and ask questions.

November 19, 2013 Flag

I'm considering adding salvaged foods to my store. I live in a depressed area near the border of Arizona and New Mexico, in a small town. Everything is extremely expensive here and real grocers are an hour away. Where can I find outlets to purchase salvage foods?

By Elaine

I work with a wholesale food company. We could help you with this. please email me at tntdyno at rconnect dot com

December 29, 2011 Flag

I am interested in opening a bent and dent store in Greenville, Alabama. I have a prime location on main state highway with building and parking. I need some help with suppliers and regulations please.

By L. P.

Hi LP

We are the largest wholesaler or Salvage Grocery in the region and are the primary vendor for almost all of the bent and dent / discount grocery stores. We are family owned, in business for 30 years. Our warehouses are in St Paul, MN and we ship across the country. We sell mixed loads of Dry Grocery, Frozen Grocery and Fresh Grocery- by the case or by the pallet.

Give me a call as we would like to explore doing business together. I can also be helpful with advice as we have helped many stores open.

Michael Burt

Reclaim Center Inc

651-646-1839

Email- michael (at) reclaimcenter (dot) com

August 8, 2014 Flag

I was in a bent and dent years ago, now again, how can I have one?

By Jane W

People shouldn't be using dented and bent canned food.

April 21, 2015 Flag

I would like to start a scratch and dent business. I live in an area where wages and jobs are low paying. There are no places near here to buy low cost groceries and or appliances. I would like info on starting this type of business.

By Barron

You can find lots of information on the Internet. Just Google your question with your city/county/state.It is a very complicated business venture.

April 13, 2015 Flag

I am starting my own dented canned food store. Where do I get my stock?

By Jimmy

Starting and running a Bent n Dent store is a really big challenge. There are a lot of city/county/state laws/rules/regulations that have to be followed or you could get into a lot of "legal" trouble.

Maybe you already know all of this and just need supplies. Most of the time there is a bidding process involved with grocery stores that spell out what you have to do to obtain their "damaged" goods.

Try your question on Google but include your city, county or state.

I believe you will be surprised at how much information is available.

March 31, 2015 Flag

I am looking to open a Bent N Dent in Wisconsin and would like to know areas where they already are. I am trying to find the best spot.

By Laurie S

Have you tried your question on Google?

Maybe just Google your question:

Bent n dent stores in (state/city).

Lots of answers/information.

Probably should Google How to open store also.

November 10, 2013 Flag

I would like to open my own dent and bent store in Effingham Illinios. I want to know how I get started so I may get on this ASAP.

Load More
Business and Legal BusinessSeptember 15, 2012
beautifully designed kitchen
Starting an Interior Design Business
Photo of rusty nails.
Uses for Old (and Bent) Nails
A woman looking at her shopping list.
Organizing Your Grocery List
Discount Grocery Store
Shopping at Discount Grocery Stores
🎉
🎄