Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Starting a Bent N Dent Grocery Store

0 0EmailFollow
Bent N Dent Grocery Store

Opening a salvage or bent n dent grocery store is a popular small business opportunity. This is a guide about starting a bent n dent grocery store.

Here are questions related to Starting a Bent N Dent Grocery Store.

Question: Starting a Bent N Dent Store

I want to start a Bent and Dent store in Caledonia, Minnesota and need to find out how to get it started and who to buy my shipments from. Can you help with this information?

By clproudma07

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]11/16/2013

You probable need to start with your state, county and city offices to find out all the regulations regarding this type of store. Be prepared to be shocked (some states are more strict than others)!

Question: Opening a Bent and Dent Grocery Store

I am very much considering opening a bent and dent grocery store in Oshkosh, Wisconsin. I am looking for any information about were to get product and regulations please. Thank You

By Sara

Most Recent Answer

By Anntoinette O.02/17/2014

Were you successful with opening your bent and dent store?

Question: Buying Food for a Bent and Dent Store

I am starting a Bent and Dent food store. Where can I get the food?

By Tom from Waterford, OH

Most Recent Answer

By Sandi/Poor But Proud [410]10/28/2014

Might be a good idea to make sure you can get the food before you advertise or even plan to open. Beyond that, I would contact the local food manufacturers and larger grocery chains to find out if they ever have any surplus. Make sure you have the proper zoning permits and then advertise like crazy. Good luck. PBP

Question: Opening a Bent and Dent Store

I live in Missouri and need info on starting a store, suppliers, etc. Any help would be appreciated.

By Cathy S.

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]10/25/2014

There is a lot of information about Bent & Dent stores on Thrifty and you can Google a question also. It can be a complicated process but it can be done.

Each state may have different rules/regulations so you may have to research through your local offices. Florida sales tax office did, at one time, carry leaflets on opening a store like this so maybe you could ask at your local office. You will need to have an "account" with your sales tax office anyway so go and ask questions.

Question: Looking for Wholesale Salvage Groceries

Looking to open a salvage grocery store in New Hampshire, and would like to know if anyone has any info on reputable suppiers in the New England area. Thank you!

By Chris

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]10/25/2014

Start your research with answers that have been given others on Thrifty.

Opening a salvage store is very complicated and legal aspects should be researched before looking for "suppliers" (if you have not already done this).

Almost any store in your community could be a "supplier" as most stores use services like this (usually larger stores).

The problem is that almost all stores will use a bidding process to find their buyers. This is many times required by state laws (called "fair" by state/county). This means you would have to find when a contract will be up for bid and go through the whole process and you would be bidding against very experienced store owners.

The contract would have a time frame (maybe 3 - 6 or 12 months). Also you will find that part of the contract will require that you purchase EVERYTHING they have that week. Also, they are usually very strict on the "buyer" being on time and if you miss a week they can cancel your contract.

Most new store owners will try to buy from the person who "wins" the contract and this way they can buy only what they can afford and learn the business in the process.

Question: Opening a Dent and Bent Food Store

I was in a bent and dent years ago, now again, how can I have one?

By Jane W

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]08/09/2014

I assume you wish to know how to open a store? If you will Google; how to open a bent & dent store? You will see lots of sites and some may help you. There is a lot to know about opening a store like this.

A lot of the sites are selling eBooks on this subject but I do not know anything about these books. There is probably a "Dummies" book on this? Takes lots of research and several weeks/months of filing government forms, finding resources, etc.

Question: Bent and Dent Store Supplier

Does anyone know who a supplier for the Kentucky area is?

By Latisha

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]08/04/2014

I live in Florida but here there is no "one" supplier. Do you mean that you are looking to open a store? If so there is a lot to learn (and DO) before finding a supplier.

Suppliers here are any store that "sells" their damaged items and usually you have to bid against several potential "buyers".

Question: Opening a Bent and Dent Grocery Store in Nebraska

I have researched Nebraska for a bent and dent salvage store, in the entire state, there are none anywhere. I would love to start one, but it makes me wonder if Nebraska has laws and regulations that prevent these type of stores to exist? Please advise me if you know. And where do you get the goods to line the shelves for start up endeavor?

By Paige

Question: Opening a Bent and Dent Store

I would like info on how to start a bent and dent store and around how much it cost to get one started in Alabama.

By R. M.

Question: Opening a Scratch and Dent

How do you get started with opening a scratch and dent store in Alabama?

By Jeanette

Most Recent Answer

By SBK Liquidators01/12/2014

I've been serving in the Retail Salvage Food business for over 25+ years. I can supply product to anyone interested in opening a bent and dent store. Please visit our website at http://sbkliquidators.weebly.com/

Question: Buying CVS Banana Boxes

I looking for where I can CVS banana boxes. I am just starting out. I live in Stone Mountain and will go as far as South Carolina, Florida, or Alabama.

By oneal3416

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]12/01/2013

Not really sure if you mean you plan to open a store? If that is the case...

There are so many things to consider (city, county and state laws) before finding where to "buy".

Most stores do not just "sell" these boxes of goods. Most take bids at different times of the year and remember - you cannot pick and choose if you have a contract - you are obligated to take everything they have - on a certain pick-up schedule.

Question: Adding Salvaged Foods to Inventory

Photo of small food store.I'm considering adding salvaged foods to my store. I live in a depressed area near the border of Arizona and New Mexico, in a small town. Everything is extremely expensive here and real grocers are an hour away. Where can I find outlets to purchase salvage foods?

By Elaine

Most Recent Answer

By Anntoinette O.02/17/2014

I work with a wholesale food company. We could help you with this. please email me at tntdyno at rconnect dot com

Question: Opening a Dent and Bent Store

I would like to open my own dent and bent store in Effingham Illinios. I want to know how I get started so I may get on this ASAP.

By Pamela from Effingham, IL

Most Recent Answer

By sbkliquidators07/28/2014

I can guide you on what you have to do to start a Bent & dent Store. I had 10 Bent & dent stores at one time before I got into strictly wholesale. I can supply you with salvage bent & dent food, Pet food, Health & Beauty Aids, Candy & so much more. You can go to my website www.sbkliquidators AT weebly.com & fill out a contact form or call at 724 -971- 7185. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Question: Starting a Bent and Dent Store

I am interested in starting a bent and dent store in south eastern Minnesota and was wondering if anyone had some information or contacts to purchase merchandise to start up my store. Any information or contacts would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

By Lacy May

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]10/25/2013

Hello and good luck with your idea as I believe the Bent'n Dent stores are great. I live in Florida and I know the laws are very stringent on what and also how you can open a store like this. You may have already gone through your local zoning board but if not, that is a good place to start.

As to finding products to sell - you will have to do your own research in your local or surrounding areas as anyone in this business will not usually share their "contacts".

After you have all of your permits you can visit any local store and ask your questions. Stores usually have "sales" every week and some stores use the highest "bidder" but most stores have contracts for certain periods of time and you have to bid on these.

There is lot to learn in this area but it can be done. You may be able to find a helpful person at one of your local Bent and Dent stores.

Question: Buying Food for a Bent N Dent Grocery Store

Who would I order food from in the Florida area?

By Jeanne from Fort Meade, FL

Most Recent Answer

By cybergrannie [30]07/09/2013

Hi - I have a friend with a Bent n Dent store in Florida and he had to go to each store (not just one of a chain but each store) and find out if they are taking bids or even discussing who they will sell their "stuff" to.

If you have to bid for a contract you will have to agree to pay "so much" per pallet or pound or whatever they specify. Be prepared to take everything they have and this can sometimes be a lot of money. This will usually be on a weekly basis and you cannot miss a date or your contract can be voided.

Just remember - not everything you "buy" can be sold - for many reasons. You do need to find out about the state and county laws concerning selling these goods.

Your place will be inspected (you have to be in certain zones only) on a regular basis for cleanliness and reporting your sales.

There are many other things you will find out if you pursue this but as you can see - this is not a small venture at least not that I can find out.

Question: Starting a Bent and Dent Grocery Store

I am planning to open a dent and bent grocery store. I have a great location, but I need to find out where and how to get product.

By Mark R

Most Recent Answer

By Anntoinette O.02/17/2014

Where would you be planning on opening this new store?

Question: Wholesale Supplies for Dent and Bent Store

I am looking to start a bargain bent and dent type small grocery store in Greenville, South Carolina. Anybody have any ideas where I can get the merchandise for the store nearby?

By corey9602 from Greenville, SC

Most Recent Answer

By bargainmax200001/24/2014

Hi we run a salvage warehouse in Charlotte NC and supply a lot of start ups and regular salvage stores since 1985 call Doug 704-277-8007

Question: Opening a Bent and Dent Store

I am interested in opening a bent and dent store in Greenville, Alabama. I have a prime location on main state highway with building and parking. I need some help with suppliers and regulations please.

By L. P.

Most Recent Answer

By thatdiscountplace02/14/2012

Hi. I am an owner of a salvage store in NY. It is called That Discount Place. You can see it on Facebook. My family also had 3 stores in Indiana.
I am currently also doing operations work helping people run and start businesses. If you would like to talk please email me at jane AT thatdiscountplace.com and we will arrange a time. Good luck.

Question: Pros and Cons of Opening a Bent-n-Dent Grocery

What are the good and the bad sides to opening a Bent-n-Dent grocery store?

By Billie M.

Most Recent Answer

By Fran [10]10/16/2011

I personally would never purchase any dented can of food for fear of food poisoning. I know it is said that most cans that are dented are safe to eat as long as the can is not bulging, that the top and bottom have a good seal, and it is not rusted. But the potential health hazard and possible medical cost outweighs the savings of buying a couple of cans of food. Sorry for the negative input, but you asked for feedback. I can think of no pros. If you go forward, try to cut costs; like do not provide bags. Let people bring their own.

Question: Wholesale or Salvage Food Vendors

Does anyone know where I can find wholesale/salvage food vendors that sell by the box or pallet?
Thanks!

By Diane W. from Fountain Inn, SC

Most Recent Answer

By Betty Gibson [6]05/02/2011

I live in Anderson, SC, go to church in Greenville,. SC. This week a lady told me about a place on Wade Hampton Blvd, in Greenville, called Save Mor or Save More - have a box sale every 2nd Saturday, $8 a box. She says the food goes quickly. Don't know what time they open, but might be worth it to check out this store.

Question: Starting a Bent N Dent Grocery Store

I would like information on how to start a bent and dent grocery store. Where I can get the groceries to stock the store?

By Tammy from Rogersville, AL

Most Recent Answer

By thatdiscountplace02/14/2012

Question: Salvage Grocery Wholesalers in Iowa

I am opening a salvage grocery in Dubuque, IA and am looking for salvage grocery wholesalers. Are there any recommended ones in my area or that will ship to Iowa?

Jill from Dubuque, IA

Most Recent Answer

By JLE Enterprises10/26/2011

Jill,
I can provide you with dry, refrigerated, and frozen product; in code, short code and out of code.

Solutions: Starting a Bent N Dent Grocery Store

Do you have knowledge about this guide topic? Feel free to share a solution!

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Starting a Bent N Dent Grocery Store

Where do I find information about starting a Bent N Dent Grocery Store?

RE: Starting a Bent N Dent Grocery Store

Check out: http://www.secondchancegrocery.com/info/how_we_did_it.htm

I have not read this myself but I do know the person who wrote it has owned and operated a store in Mississippi for several years. The information on suppliers may not be relevant for your area. There is a phone number to call and ask questions about the guide before you buy. (04/10/2005)

By pal12345

I live in NW Ohio and was wondering if you have a Bent and Dent store in this area? (10/01/2005)

By Joyce MaClain

I need info as to where to purchase food items to start a small bent n dent store in WI (09/12/2006)

By Deb

PLEASE EMAIL ME IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR ITEMS TO START A GROCERY STORE. DGREENWOLD at TDS dot NET (11/01/2006)

By DARRIN

I live in Wisconsin and am interested in any information on how to start one of these stores. Laws and guidelines or even a web site that I can go to to get it thank you (01/16/2007)

By Asil

Where are you looking at opening a bent and dent store in WI? (02/25/2007)

By bin01

Looking for information on Bent and Dent stores. I have a location and want to start one. Thank you.

Clark

There is supposed to be a Bent & Dent Distributor in Harrison, AR. I am currently looking for their info. (06/10/2008)

By Hot2trot4christ

I live in northwest Pennsylvania and I have a small mom and pop store. I am looking to expand into the bent and dent grocery department. I would like to find a wholesaler where I don't have to buy truckloads to start until I see if it is going to work out. Can anyone help me out? Thanks.

Dana from Garland, PA

I thought dented cans could poison people? I can see bent packages of say noodles but canned goods being bent can cause botulism. Perhaps this means something altogether different that I have never heard of. If so, I mean only to prevent people getting sick and you being sued. (10/05/2008)

By NellieMary

I need to know where to get cheaper groceries for my friends bent and dent store in Jasper, Alabama (10/25/2008)

By kim m

I would like to start a Bent N Dent store in my area. How do I go about getting started?

Lisa

Here is a major seller:

http://www.aaacloseout.com/index.html (12/25/2008)

By apcowboy

I am looking to start a bent and dent store in Camp Verd, AZ. Does anyone have any advice on how to get started?

Sue from Camp Verde, AZ

The salvage grocery store in my town sells dented cans of stuff and they always get an excellent health department store. I don't thing so many places would be in business if it was going to kill people. (01/14/2009)

By Thursday_Next

I want to start a bent and dent or salvage grocery store. I need wholesale information.

Basil from Alabama

First, have a good supplier set up with competitive prices. You have to pay for shipping and you still have a lot of waste. I own a dent n bent and have been on a waiting list for groceries for over 4 months. The down economy has people using up all supplies of salvage food at food banks and not for profit business, first. The supply has become scarce. (02/25/2009)

By William R.

I am looking at starting a Dent and Bent store. Can anyone help with information to get started?

By Mclawhorn8790 from Panama City, FL

I looked online for information about starting a Dent and Bent store and all the websites I found gave a link back to ThriftyFun. Lots of good tips below. (05/18/2009)

By Anonymous

I want to open up a Dent and Bent store. I have my EIN number. Do I need to contact the Department of Health?

By Dennis from Erie, PA

How do you open a bent and dent grocery store? How much does it cost?

By Beverly from Salt Springs, FL

Be careful. When a can is bent or dented either the lid or the side seam may be loosened or have a pinhole leak in it letting bacteria creep in. It may look okay, but may not be safe. I don't think I'd want to risk it with my reputation or my insurance costs. (03/02/2010)

By Mensan

How would you go about starting a Bent and Dent store?

By Jakarra from Beloit, WI

Start by having a huge backing of money to keep your products freshly supplied weekly. One area one was backed by local farmers who are on their 2nd large and successful one. Another local is drowning as they don't get new stuff for 4-5 months at a time. People want weekly turnover like the regular grocery store. If they know your stock, they won't think of you till they need something you have had. If you get weekly stuff in, they will include your shop on their weekly shopping list. (08/04/2010)

By TandT Grandma