Keep Manuals And Car Paperwork In Glove Box

I keep a folder in my glove box. It's one of those that's made to hold checks, only it's a little bigger than the usual ones. Also, it's made from a nylon type of fabric, not cheap plastic, so it lasts a long time. I've had it for over 10 years and it still looks like new.

Anyway, in this folder I keep my registration, insurance card (copy of this is in my house too), title (when it's paid off), inspection paperwork, and the receipts and paperwork from any maintenance we've had done. This includes tires, tune-ups, anything. This way it's all together and nothing is lost.

It's also a good thing to have when we go to sell the car. The buyer will like knowing exactly what's been done and when.

By Cricket from Parkton, NC

I like your suggestion about the small folder. We also keep our registration and insurance information in the glovebox (but in a paper envelope, which has to be replaced periodically). However, our vehicle titles are locked in our fireproof safe.

Dottie

I found a small lock box for documents. It fits perfectly under my front seat. It also helps to keep things from rolling under the seat from the front OR the back. I also keep a small amount of emergency cash in it just in case. I believe it is fireproof as well but I'm not certain. I keep the essential car things in it plus my kids medical notes (allergies and such) as well as insurance information for them. .. and me. But only copies, not the originals.

DottieNM and Suntydt, Thank you for your feedback. I had forgotten to add that I also keep a small amount of cash in my folder too. It has been $20 but I'm thinking of adding another $20 for a total of $40 what with the way gas prices are sky-rocketing. But it would give me a tank of gas in an emergency. I keep it in an envelope at the back of the folder so it's "out of sight, out of mind" and doesn't get spent!

Once my car gets paid off and I get the title, I'll burn a copy of it and keep the original in the house and a copy in my folder. I love the idea of keeping everything in a fire proof box under the seat. Unfortunately one won't fit under my seat, but I bet if I looked around I could find a place for a small one someplace in the car! Thanks for the idea! If I do find a place, I might put that in there too, plus my folder in the glove box. The money would go in the box. That way if my car burns up I'd still have my stuff.

Great suggestions with one caution. Do not store your title in your car. If it is stolen, its a pain to replace. And, if a thief takes your car and has the title, he may be able to forge some signatures and sell the car to someone else before the police can get it in the system. Titles are best stored with other important documents in a safe place in your home.

Way too much information for a criminal to use. With registration one can change the title. I don't even keep anything in my car that contains my name and address. Noone needs my insurance information except someone I'm involved in an accident with OR law inforcement.

Glove Compartment
Organizing Your Car's Glove Compartment
Consumer Advice Cars Helpful HintsJuly 22, 2011
Health Insurance Claims Paperwork
Organizing Health Insurance Paperwork
Handyman Finding Appliance Manuals Online
Finding Appliance Manuals Online
Organizing Household Paperwork
Organizing Household Paperwork
Money hidden in a china sugar pot.
Hiding Valuables
🎉
🎄