Browse   Newsletters   Contests   Ask   Share   Account   About

Urinary Blockage in Cats (Feline Urinary Syndrome)

Just thought I would share this with all the cat owners out there who don't know this or maybe I'm the only one who didn't. Cats are prone to urinary tract blockage or disease. It is caused by a blockage as small as a grain if sand size crystal or stone which forms in the urinary tract and causes a blockage. Having an outside cat I was unaware of this and almost lost a beloved member of our family today. Not to mention spending more than my mortgage on vet bills to save him.

By Tami

Recent Feedback

Feedback about this article is posted here. Want to contribute? Click above to post feedback.

By Mr. Kitty's mom10/22/2013

I have had neutered male cats in the past who lived long (occasionally stressful) lives and never had this common blockage occur. My new boy, Mr. Kitty (age 8 we have had him 1 year), started squatting in odd places a few days ago and not producing urine. We took him to our vet right away (thank heavens for Saturday hours) and she said just how common this blockage is. I was amazed that such a common thing has a $1200 cure all in all, not to mention the risk of recurrence. We are done with dry food in our home. I had no idea what a risk that was for our boy. I brought him home yesterday and he is no longer blocked but far from back to normal. He will be on pain and other meds for awhile. I run to his box each time he finishes and it is usually only a few drops. Anyone who has been through this have words of hope?

By KristinaK05/14/2012

Hi
I have a male cat (2years old), he had 3 blockage and it was no way to survive, so we decided to do the surgery, it has been 3 weeks since surgery, he is doing great!! He is on c/d diet, and I am glad that we were able to pay the surgery, and saved his life, hope he will be with us for another 10-15 years :-)
Kristina

By Rachel05/02/2010

I really wish that I would have known about this before today! I lost my Leo today because of this! It saddens me reading this now and seeing that he had all the signs. It came out of no where for us, we woke up this morning and he just wasn't himself. Right now my family has been struggling financially but I knew I had to get him in today because I could tell something wasn't right! I was able to find a place that told me about Care Credit which I got approved for. I never thought that it was going to be as bad as it was! Once we got him to the vet. urgent care and they told us he had a blockage and how much everything would cost it broke my heart to make the decision I had to make to put him down. I was not approved for enough credit to fix him but I would have done ANYTHING if I could to make him better. At least he is not in pain and in a better place! Reading everyone else's comments has helped me a little bit understand what happened to him and feel just a little bit better. I really hope other people are able to get this information before it's too late. But if this does happen to your cat it is very costly and you might have to make a really hard decision.

Here are questions related to Urinary Blockage in Cats (Feline Urinary Syndrome).

Question: Treating a Cat With Bladder Blockage

I we spent 500+ on a cat with bladder blockage, its back. I had a cat about 15 years ago and he had a blockage and the vet squeezed it out, is that still OK to do being as we are so broke and we just want to try anything to help our Joey?

By Bob

Question: Recovery Time for a Cat with Uniary Blockage

I took my cat, Newbie, a 2 1/2 year old male long hair, to the vet the 1st week of July because he was unable to pee. The vet said he was completely blocked. They catherized him, put him on IVs and antibiotics, and kept him for 4 1/2 days. He was put on Hills Science Diet c/d,I took him home, but took him back a week later because it was still taking a couple of minutes to pee and only in small amounts. The vet examined him, said his bladder was small, he was hydrated, and his coat and eyes looked good.

He was sent home with antibiotics and steroids. Yesterday we went back to the vet for a urinalysis. The vet said he is hydrated and his bladder is small which is good, but he still has an infection so we were sent home with the antibiotic Baytril and another Hills Science Diet food, s/d, to go along with the c/d. I'm just wondering how long does it take until my baby feels better? Should I be doing anything else? This is getting expensive! Any input/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

By Vickii

Most Recent Answer

By Joan08/04/2012

I don't know if this would help with a bladder problem, but I was told to add about a tablespoon of pure pumpkin (NOT pie filling) to some canned cat food and feed it to him once a day. It seems to have kept our cat's "plumbing" working well for the past few years. Good luck.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Urinary Blockage in Cats (Feline Urinary Syndrome)

Just thought I would share this with all the cat owners out there who don't know this or maybe I'm the only one who didn't. Cats are prone to urinary tract blockage or disease. It is caused by a blockage as small as a grain if sand size crystal or stone which form in the urinary tract and cause a blockage.

Post Feedback

Add your voice to the conversation. Click here to post feedback.