Replacement filler For Sofa Cushions

I'm looking for replacement filler for my existing sofa cushions and need info regarding types of fillers. The furniture is less than 1 year old, is made by Ethan Allen and is miserably uncomfortable.

Donna from Ohio

If your sofa is less than a year old, contact the store where you purchased it from and let them know about the problem that you are having. Or contact the company who made the sofa.

Stores and manufacturers are suppose to stand behind their products. That's a shame that this has happened in less than one year.

Marge from NY

I had the same problem. The company just didn't want to help at all. So I ordered a 1 inch memory foam bed liner. Removed the inner part of the cushions then cut the memory foam to the size of the cushion, just a tiny bit smaller. Then inserted the foam to the top of the cushion. This was an amazing improvement. The sofa is so comfortable. I can't understand why the furniture industry has not thought of this.

I've recently had a hip replacement so sitting on that uncomfortable sofa was impossible. Now, I'm able to sit there without any pain at all.

I used old bed pillows for my sofa. I don't have the seperate cushions with the zipper covers (I wish I did I could of just slipped the pillows in on top of the foam that was already in there) I have the attached ones. I flipped my couch over and pushed my pillows in between the springs and the existing cushions. Wasn't easy to do but made a world of difference.

I'd go with Marge W.'s idea first and see how the store or manufacturer handles it. If they drag their feet be sure to let them know you can cost them a lot more in business than new cushions will cost them. And if they don't fix the problem I would do just that... tell all your friends and online acquaintances, call the Better Business Bureau, etc.

If they fail to come through and you are happy with foam rubber or feathers the other suggestions sound good. If you would really like old fashioned, coil spring/cotton cushions find a good upholstery shop who still does this kind of work and get some estimates. Good sofas used to all be made this way, and there are still a few old-timers in the business who like to do things right. Keep in mind though, they'll probably have to order the springs, and there is more work involved than just cutting & stuffing foam into a cover. It could be pretty expensive. Good luck!

I had this same problem but the sofa was over 5 years old, so no luck with the manufacturer. I found some replacements on line but they were pricey, especially if you want one of those down/feather combos.

So until I could afford a new sofa, I bought a piece of new 1" foam (the kind you can roll up and use for camping) and placed this under my existing cushions. It was still a little too soft, so I folded up some blankets and placed them underneath as well. Now the cushions sit higher on the sofa and you can see the "additions" from the front, so I tucked a blanket around them like a slip cover and it works great! BTW, I will make sure that the next sofa I buy has a lifetime warranty on the cushions, like Stanton.

My sister bought a Stanton International and simply called the store where she bought it and they ordered them for her free of charge, no receipt needed.

Home and Garden Home Improvement FurnitureSeptember 22, 2007
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Upholstered couch with soft cushions.
Making Couch Cushions Firmer
Couch Cushions Being Cleaning
Cleaning Cushions
Glider Chair
Finding Glider Chair Replacement Cushions